Status
Not open for further replies.

Cools

Cadet
Hi all my nas has a failed drive and it has taken out my storage pool
i have 4 x 2tb hdd

there is no pool listed in free nas and i can not import the pool
but the pool is still there..

i need to remove the missing drive but it will not let me.

every thing is "no such pool"

what can i do

thanks..

# zpool import
pool: Storage
id: 5515001178785039510
state: UNAVAIL
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
devices and try again.
see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-6X
config:

Storage UNAVAIL missing device
gptid/79959123-b0c2-11e1-8500-001ec94e0fd8 ONLINE
gptid/79f18769-b0c2-11e1-8500-001ec94e0fd8 ONLINE
gptid/7a98ac2c-b0c2-11e1-8500-001ec94e0fd8 ONLINE

Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their
exact configuration cannot be determined.

[root@freenas] ~# zpool import -f Storage
cannot import 'Storage': one or more devices is currently unavailable

[root@freenas] ~# zpool replace Storage 5515001178785039510 da2
cannot open 'Storage': no such pool

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It sounds like you had a RAID0 pool. You can't removing the missing drive because it IS missing. Drives added to a vdev cannot be offlined(or removed, or failed) without a suitable amount of redundancy.

In your case it sounds like you were using a RAID0. If this is the case and then one drive failed you lost all of your data in your zpool. Basically no zpool commands will work until you reinstall the failed disk.

Cools

Cadet
Crap the drive is so dead it will not be seen on the pc.. so i have lost every thing...
oh poo .

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah. Game Over!

So.. you do have backups, right? I have that sig as a reminder to EVERYONE how important backups are.

...something tells me you have no backups :(

Cools

Cadet
that was my backups lol..

i think im going to move to cloud storage now.

bollar

Patron
How important is recovering the data? If the PC can't see the drive, perhaps the controller board has failed and maybe it's possible to swap the board for a good one. It's a reasonably straightforward procedure if you can find a drive of the same make and model.

JaimieV

Guru
Cloud storage only looks good until you work out how long it'll take to shift a terabyte of data either way!

Cools

Cadet
It would be nice to get the data off..

I have a drive that's the same make but not model but it is 2tb. the one that has failed is under warranty so I'm getting it replaced.
should have it back after xmas.

the controller board is fine as it see all the drives even the spare 2tb I have to check it with.

what's this "straightforward procedure" you speak of?

Thanks

Your right there.. JaimieV, But if you pay for it you get all the extras you need..
I had a look at a few online storage to day the only one I like is http://www.justcloud.com/ I might have to give them a trial.

JaimieV

Guru
If the drive failure is due to electronics on its mainboard, just swapping the mainboard out for one from another identical model drive *might* work. Or might not. I've been lucky once, and unlucky twice.

If it's a spindle or heads or motor problem, no chance.

(By the way, did you notice the (secret link) on Justcloud's site?)

bollar

Patron
The controller board I was thinking of is the one on the hard drive itself. If the HD is not seen on the NAS, or on a PC, I think it's possible the board failed and perhaps the platters themselves are intact. It's not particularly difficult to replace that board on the drive, but you have to have an exact replacement, which I guess you don't have.

And of course, once you send that drive in, then the data's gone for good.

Stephens

Patron

JaimieV

Guru
It's at the bottom of the page, out in plain site. (ha!)(sorry)

Cools

Cadet
Well there was a strange noise from it just before died Never think its a fan going... i wish i checked sooner well it happened i can't change it.

thanks guys for the help.

secret link lol did not see that there..

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Cloud storage, defined: giving your data to someone else who doesn't care as much about your data as you do.

Stephens

Patron
While I smile and see so much truth in that, to be balanced, I'd say they do care about making money... and if they go around losing data, their reputation will quickly become trash in the industry. Loss of faith eventually leads to a loss of dollars. So while they may not care about the data per se, they do care about having a good enough reputation (amongst reputable customers) about protecting your data that you'll give them dollars to do it. It seems like once per week I'm having a discussion with clients about internal vs. cloud computing. I argue both sides and make them make decisions because it's not clear cut to me either way.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will never trust cloud storage because if I'm going to lose my data I want it to be completely at my own hands so I have nobody else to blame but myself. If I put my data on the Amazon Cloud and some programmer screws up and I lose my data I'm gonna be REALLY pissed off at Amazon.

Bottom line. I want total control of my destiny.. for better or for worse. If my data is going to go down in a giant ball of flames, I want to learn something from that very very painful mistake so I can make sure it never happens to someone else. Also, people that I meet that use the cloud are ones that basically want a pushbutton data storage solution without thinking about what is good/bad about things. Nothing wrong with pushbutton, but if all hell breaks loose that 1-800-WHERE-IS-MY-DATA won't make you feel better after they say 'we'll reimburse you for one month'.

Status
Not open for further replies.