Dead boot drive

garywastaken

Cadet
Hello, my boot drive just died (Kingston A400 with a few years of use) to the point in which another PC wont even recognize it. Also, my config backups are from before I upgraded to Codia and upgraded my pools to the new ZFS features, meaning I cant return to those config backups.

I cant find an "official" guide of what to do. My question is, if I do a fresh install of Truenas Scale on a new ssd, can I recover my pools? I dont care about the rest, as I can set up my apps manually again. Its just de data I care about. I have a mirrored pool with 2 HDDs and an stripped pool on a single SSD.

Thank you

danb35

Hall of Famer
meaning I cant return to those config backups.
I don't believe this is correct. Obviously you'd lose any configuration changes after those backups were made, but you should still be able to use them.
if I do a fresh install of Truenas Scale on a new ssd, can I recover my pools?
Sure, as long as the pools/datasets weren't encrypted, and there's nothing wrong with the other drives.

garywastaken

Cadet
I don't believe this is correct. Obviously you'd lose any configuration changes after those backups were made, but you should still be able to use them.

Sure, as long as the pools/datasets weren't encrypted, and there's nothing wrong with the other drives.
Awesome, so do I just import the pools after a fresh install? Is there some guide to do this? Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer

chuck32

Guru
Awesome, so do I just import the pools after a fresh install? Is there some guide to do this? Thanks!
This depends on whether you want to try to restore your configuration backup. If you restore it, you don't need to reimport the pools. After you restore the config the system reboots and should automatically Import the pools.
If it doesn't then you would need to import manually.

joeschmuck

Old Man
As for your configuration... If your System Dataset was on the default device (the first pool created is generally where the configuration files are located), you may be able to can recover them, provided you do not overwrite them. Look in /data for the files freenas-v1.db and pwenc_secret and both .bak versions as well. Upload your configuration by pointing to the file location you saved these (generally on your local computer).

Good luck.

garywastaken

Cadet
As for your configuration... If your System Dataset was on the default device (the first pool created is generally where the configuration files are located), you may be able to can recover them, provided you do not overwrite them. Look in /data for the files freenas-v1.db and pwenc_secret and both .bak versions as well. Upload your configuration by pointing to the file location you saved these (generally on your local computer).

Good luck.
My default device (I guess where ix-applications dataset is) is my mirrored pool. I would have to install truenas on a new SSD, import that pool, extract the data and then just load one of those configs?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yes. Place two files in a directory on your computer (freenas-v1.db and pwenc_secret) and then you Upload via the GUI the freenas-v1.db and the upload wil grab both files. Hopefully the system reboot, if not, make it happen. It should be playing nice with you after that.

I would recommend that you backup your configuration files periodically. The Multi-Report script (link below) does that once a week and send it to your email account. But you could also just grab a copy periodically.