Datasets and shares. How to make them accessible for unix and Windows??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tording99z28

Dabbler
I have a freenas 11 U1 box that I have been setting up. I am a unix guy by trade but because of my job I must use a windows machine. I want my Freenas share accessible by both systems, NFS and SMB. Here is my storage layout.

Pool1 - Volume
Pool1 - Dataset
VM_ISOs - Dataset.

My Pool1 dataset is just a big storage dataset that I keep various things in. My media and documents and all kinds of things. I want this Dataset/share to be accessible by both Unix (NFS) and Windows (SMB) and there to not be any weirdness when it comes to permissions from one host to the next host. By that I mean if I move files around on my Unix machine I don't want to not be able to access them on my windows machine and vice versa. Can someone tell me how to accomplish this since a dataset can only be a windows or Unix permission dataset?

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
It's recommended to use only one type of share per dataset. In your case, since you have Windows clients involved, you will likely want to configure your shares using SMB (Samba). Most (if not all) Linux and UNIX operating systems now support Samba.

If you share via SMB and NFS, it's possible to get into some weird file locking issues.

http://doc.freenas.org/11/sharing.html

From the documentation
It is generally a mistake to share a volume or dataset with more than one share type or access method. Different types of shares and services use different file locking methods. For example, if the same volume is configured to use both NFS and FTP, NFS will lock a file for editing by an NFS user, but a FTP user can simultaneously edit or delete that file. This results in lost edits and confused users. Another example: if a volume is configured for both AFP and SMB, Windows users can be confused by the “extra” filenames used by Mac files and delete them. This corrupts the files on the AFP share. Pick the one type of share or service that makes the most sense for the types of clients accessing that volume, and use that single type of share or service. To support multiple types of shares, divide the volume into datasets and use one dataset per share.

tording99z28

Dabbler
Okay thank you for the reply. So if I was going to take my big dataset Pool1 and and share it out only Samba do I need to go into the Storage area and change the permission type to Windows or can I leave it Unix?

m0nkey_

MVP
Select Windows for a SMB share.

Check my signature for the Samba permissions how-to video guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.