dataset file redundancy setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EtienneB

Explorer
Goodevening,
I am new to Freenas after using ZFSGuru for a couple of years. Within ZFSGuru I could within a dataset(filesystem) set keep file copies = 2. E.g. in my volume Tank I have a filesystem called pictures (/tank/pictures/) and have 2 copies of each file in that folder (the system keeps those extra copies on different drives).

I am unable to find this in Freenas 11.
Any ideas where I can find and set this? And where I can see which datasets have this set and also I would like to see how much space this is using in my Tank?
Thanks,
Etienne

Nick2253

Wizard

EtienneB

Explorer
Thanks, read it pretty clear. My volume Tank consists of 3x raidz2 pools of 6 vdevs/drives each. So have plenty of redundancy I think.

Any idea how to view and potentially reclaim space occupied by multiple copies of files? Or even see which datasets have this enabled....

Nick2253

Wizard
You can use the zfs get all tank/home command to get the properties of the dataset tank/home. Replace tank/home with whatever your dataset(s) are called.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You can use the zfs get all tank/home command to get the properties of the dataset tank/home.
...or even zfs get copies pool/dataset to get that specific property. And zfs set copies=1 pool/dataset to set it back to 1. But setting that value back to 1 won't free the space consumed by the extra copies--the only way to do that would be to rewrite the data after making that change.

EtienneB

Explorer
Thanks, that solved it. Found 4 out of 30 datasets. Would be nice to have that in the GUI of Freenas :smile:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Would be nice to have that in the GUI of Freenas
Perhaps, but it doesn't seem like a very useful setting if you have a proper redundant pool in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.