Data Written is less than Total Allocation (dedupe off) - should I be worried?

avggeek

Dabbler
Hi,

I just upgraded to Bluefin and was checking whether everything was working correctly after the upgrade. While checking, I noticed that the Datasets page has new information and one particular dataset on my host stood out - see screenshot attached.

Now in every other dataset, the Total Allocation & Data Written are identical, but only this dataset has a different of about 1 GB. Note that it's a pretty standard dataset in terms of configuration and just contains a bunch of epub files.

When I looked at the documentation, the screenshot there also seems to show that the Total Allocated & Data Written (incl. children) are identical.

My latest pool scrub completed without any issues so I believe there is no pool corruption issues that I'm dealing with:

Code:
Last Scan:
Finished Scrub on 2022-12-04 02:23:21
Last Scan Errors:
Last Scan Duration:
2 hours 23 minutes 19 seconds

So now I'm wondering if there is some issue with this particular dataset that I need to be worried about?

Attachments

• firefox_ntRtja7WPC.png
    firefox_ntRtja7WPC.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 148

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Don't think there is any issues... but the information could be presented better.

Do you have any quotas set?

avggeek

Dabbler
Don't think there is any issues... but the information could be presented better.

Do you have any quotas set?
Well that's a relief.

Interesting I did have quotas on this dataset. But then I had to rebuild my storage pool as the layout was completely messed up (two 3 drive RAID-Z1 and a 6 drive RAID Z1) and when I was moving data around, I seem to have forgotten to re-enable quotas. I will do so now.

Do you expect that to fix the inconsistency?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Well that's a relief.

Interesting I did have quotas on this dataset. But then I had to rebuild my storage pool as the layout was completely messed up (two 3 drive RAID-Z1 and a 6 drive RAID Z1) and when I was moving data around, I seem to have forgotten to re-enable quotas. I will do so now.

Do you expect that to fix the inconsistency?
I would expect it to provide accurate warnings on actual quotas set.... if not, its a bug.

avggeek

Dabbler
I would expect it to provide accurate warnings on actual quotas set.... if not, its a bug.

Now that I have applied the quota, it does reflect space available & the quota applied. However, the "Data Written" vs "Allocation" is still off.

Attachments

• firefox_OT5uygp8UH.png
    firefox_OT5uygp8UH.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 141