Data recovery on deleted UFS / EFS volume, which has been formatted now to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cillian

Cadet
I have a 1TB drive that I used with a freenas box i made.

The drive was formatted as UFS or EFS I can't remember , it's been unused for so long

The other day I took the drive out and connected it via USB to my main desktop, I took all the files I needed off it with the help of a program called UFSexplorer , it worked great.

I then formatted the drive to NTFS as I will be using it with a windows PC in the future.

here's the thing.......

I forgot a couple of folders on there, and they are customers data which I need to get back

no more data has been written to the drive since it was deleted and re-formatted as NTFS

Is there any hope of recovery ?

I am trying the stellar phoenix route at the moment but it is taking a long time

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You could try the UFSexplorer. If that doesn't work call Ontrack data recovery. For a few thousand USD you can probably get the data back.

cillian

Cadet
thanks for your reply,

but the drive is now a NTFS drive, I opened it in UFS explorer and did not see any options for recovery

sremick

Patron
If it was a "quick" style NTFS format which just modified the partition table, your data could be still there but your computer can't access it because the partition table is telling it it's now a blank NTFS drive.

Hypothetically, if you could reconstruct the partition table to be exactly what it was before with UFS, you might be able to get your data back. But unless you remember the exact layout and settings, or kept a backup of your partition table, that's going to be extremely difficult for you, your skills, and the tools you have available to you.

This is Ontrack's cup of tea. But the tools are expensive and the skills difficult to learn. That's why their services come at such an expense. Expect to pay $1000-$2000 and you might get some of your data back.

Status
Not open for further replies.