Crucial MX500 SSDs no TRIM?

Sawtaytoes

Patron
My Crucial MX500 SSDs are reporting "trim unsupported" to ZFS. I had no clue this entire time.

I read in another thread that LSI controllers (mine are the LSI 9305) don't do TRIM unless a drive supports RZAT or DRAT, whatever those are.

Is there a way to make my system compatible with TRIM? I have an all-SSD system, and this is an important feature for write speed. I'm assuming the drive doesn't run TRIM on itself right?

NugentS

MVP
There is also garbage collection that should run, even if Trim doesn't

I'm assuming the drive doesn't run TRIM on itself right?
TRIM is what the filesystem communicates to the SSD "Hey, these sections are 'unused' space", which the drive's firmware will use for its garbage collection.

An SSD can't really "self-trim" because it has no context of the data, metadata, and files of the user's filesystem. If you delete a file, the bits still exist as they are, but the filesystem simply doesn't "point" to those bits anymore. From the SSD's perspective, how can it know if those bits represent an actual file, or if they're simply abandoned from a "deleted" file? TRIM is what the filesystem communicates to the SSD "Yup. Those aren't actually being used anymore. Do your thing, firmware."

My Crucial MX500 SSDs are reporting "trim unsupported" to ZFS. I had no clue this entire time.
Where is this reported? Maybe it's a SCALE GUI thing?

Sawtaytoes

Patron
Crucial told me this is a SED drive. It is! I had no clue. But why does a SED drive without me using the SED feature not be able to respond with zeros?

chuck32

Guru
Weird, my CT500MX500SSD1 displays under storage that no SED password is set, so I assume it's also a SED drive.

I could enable auto trim with no problems.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
Weird, my CT500MX500SSD1 displays under storage that no SED password is set, so I assume it's also a SED drive.

I could enable auto trim with no problems.
I enabled Auto-TRIM, but it won't do anything for these drives. Heck, I can enable Auto-TRIM on my HDD array.

Are you connected over LSI SAS controllers? SATA ports should work fine.

The drive says SED on the sticker. I noticed it before, but to never registered.

Last edited:

chuck32

Guru
That's because you probably have it connected via SATA (guessing). My drives are connected via LSI SAS controllers.
Yes, one of the SSDs of my VM pool is connected via SATA, the other via a PCI-E SATA extender. I don't know which one though.

Sawtaytoes

Patron
Yes, one of the SSDs of my VM pool is connected via SATA, the other via a PCI-E SATA extender. I don't know which one though.
Both SATA ones should be fine. It's the LSI SAS controllers that have issues. SATA drives, even over SAS, still have to report to the SAS controller.