Creating Folder on The FreeNas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, everyone!
I'm a new user on FreeNas, and I don't speak english very well.
I'm trying to use FreeNas like a disk on computer.
What I need is: create some folders on FreeNas and each folder must be accessed only for the especific user. But I only can give permission to the whole disk and not for a folder. Anybody can help me?
P.S.: Sorry my english.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You should read the manual, my guide, and search the forums. You really need a good understanding of the basics to get around in FreeNAS. I'd bet that 90% of your questions will be answered in the manual. Unfortunately, I don't think the manual is available in any language except English.

I'm reading a book called "Learning FreeNas - Gary Sims", but I don't found nothing about my doubt...or I don't searched well.:confused:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Never heard of that book. I'd just go to the manual. Features and stuff are added all the time and any book printed is virtually out of date the second its printed because of the fast progression of releases for FreeNAS.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's a book on the .7 FreeNAS (seen it in the book store a while ago). He's got a website that discusses the new stuff too. I agree that the FreeNAS manual is actually a better place to go these days as it's up to date.

I created a Storage Volume, two group and two users (each on one group). After I configured a CIFS Service, but all users can access this folder. How Can I allow some users and deny others? I don't see anything about this on the manual. I only see about permission on the volume.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS is still in a rapidly developing phase of development. New big-ticket features are being added with each release. Trying to get a book off the shelf will be difficult, and obsolete within a few months. I think in a year or two when FreeNAS is built on FreeBSD 9.1(or whatever is the latest) things will slowdown alot.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I created a Storage Volume, two group and two users (each on one group). After I configured a CIFS Service, but all users can access this folder. How Can I allow some users and deny others? I don't see anything about this on the manual. I only see about permission on the volume.

here's a huge hint: DATASETS

Unfortunately, I'm not in my house now. But let me see if I understand.
First I need create datasets. After, create the users and setting each user to their specific dataset (home directory?). So I have to configure the storage permissions and datasets permissions. Is This it?

Yes!!! I got it!!! The problem was that I need to do log off to access the other folder. When I ascend to the folder with one user, I can't access with other one.
Another question. I map the folder and always I need access them, I have to put the password, I have no option to memorize this password on XP.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes!!! I got it!!! The problem was that I need to do log off to access the other folder. When I ascend to the folder with one user, I can't access with other one.
Another question. I map the folder and always I need access them, I have to put the password, I have no option to memorize this password on XP.

Yes you do. If you map it to a drive letter and choose to enter credentials manually you can check the box to remember the username and password. Then it won't ask anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.