Creating 2 partitions of the correct size for 2 different pools?

fierarul

Dabbler
Hello,

I have a 6TB disk in one ZFS mirror and some 2TB disks in another ZFS mirror.

I'm about to receive an 8TB disk and I was thinking that I could, in fact, use that disk for both ZFS pools.

My plan is just to create 6TB + 2TB partitions on the 8TB disk and add each partition to each separate ZFS pool.

I previously manually created partitions based on https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/create-zfs-mirror-by-adding-a-drive.14880/#post-81348 (as I'm on FreeNAS 9.1.1).

So, I *think* what I need to do is use `gpart show` to figure out the size of the existing partitions and then `gpart add` to create new partitions on the 8TB disk. (I won't create any swap on the 8TB disk so that saves me 2GB).

Does this sound correct? Anything I should look after? Any help with the actual gpart incantation appreciated.

garm

Wizard
I have a 6TB disk in one ZFS mirror
This makes no sense , please show the printout of zpool status

If you partition a drive and add the partitions to two different mirror pools you gain nothing but added redundancy. If you add the drive as a new vdev to an existing mirror you will lose both pools when this drive dies. Managing this in the UI will most likely not work or break things. And managing resilvering and other tasks will be complex and risk breaking things.

If you rely on instructions on the internet you should probably not be doing this..

fierarul

Dabbler
I have 2 mirror pools, one of which has a 3TB and 6TB disk (and I hope it will autogrow to 6TB when I replace the 3TB one) and another mirror which has 2x2TB disks.

I was thinking on using the 8TB disk for *both* of those mirrors.

I don't see how I would lose both pools since I have 2 other drives mirroring in each pool. This would be the 3rd "drive" in each.

Following the instructions here https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/create-zfs-mirror-by-adding-a-drive.14880/#post-81348 the steps to add another disk seem to be :

1. gpart create -s gpt /dev/ada1
  2. gpart add -b 128 -t freebsd-swap -s 2G /dev/ada1
  3. gpart add -t freebsd-zfs /dev/ada1
  4. Run zpool status and note the gptid of the existing disk
  5. Run gpart list and find the gptid of the newly created partition. It is the rawuuid field. In this example it would be rawuuid of ada1p1
  6. zpool attach tank /dev/gptid/[gptid_of_the_existing_disk] /dev/gptid/[gptid_of_the_new_partition]

so I expect something similar to work in this case too, except I would use the IDs of each partition for each pool.

My main question is how to create the partitions of proper size since it seems tight (8TB = 6TB + 2TB and I don't know how much room for maneuver I have even if I skip that 2GB swap partition that FreeNAS created by default on the other disks).

> If you rely on instructions on the internet you should probably not be doing this..

Perhaps... But I did manage to attach another disk with the above steps. This seems really similar.

garm

Wizard
I said, if you add it as a new mirror vdev member you add redundancy by cost of complexity. I didn’t say that would lead to losing the pools.. all you need to do is to ensure the partitions are exactly equal or bigger then the other members.

fierarul

Dabbler
> all you need to do is to ensure the partitions are exactly equal or bigger then the other members.

Yes, I assumed so. Now, how do I ensure that? Just manually use gpart show and gpart add and make sure I copy-paste the same numbers?

sretalla