Crashplan Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirMaster

Patron
No matter what someone creates on FreeNAS you will still have to copy the UUID from the server to the client manually since a FreeNAS plugin isn't going to be able to modify your Windows files and Crashplan needs that UUID to connect the client to the server.

Running a headless Crashplan server in general is just not supported by Crashplan themselves so its not always going to be straightforward.

CrashPlan 4.3.0 added some extra security. There is now a UUID that each computer has that is transmitted between the client and backup service and it must match between both.

This info solved my client connection issues after a few hours of frustration. Many thanks!

bluonek

Dabbler
I've always disliked the idea of changing the interface that Crashplan listens on. I prefer to use the instructions Code42 suggests and direct the local Crashplan to connect over an SSH tunnel.

Agreed. As a heads up, Code42 updated the page that the FreeNas CrashPlan plug-in provides a link to (http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer) and it includes the procedure to "Copy The Authentication Token". As an aside, the article referenced from techflow.io seems a bit much, e.g. "Cause Crashplan to listen on all interfaces" is one hell of a shotgun approach. Most scenarios should not require this if following the instructions from the Code42 site properly (and assuming you don't have some special scenario to configure for).

Status
Not open for further replies.