CPU Temp on GIGABYTE M/B

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniti

Cadet
Hello . .

I've been using FreeNAS since for long and last a few weeks I've just custom built the new system with GIGABYTE F2A85X-UP4 M/B + AMD FM2 A10-5800K 3.8 GHz CPU.

On my other FreeNAS box using ASUS M/B with Intel CPU I can issue:
#sysctl -a |egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 40.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 40.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 39.0C
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 39.0C

(Ref: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/h...-hdd-mobo-gpu-temperatures-on-freenas-8.2994/)

But I got noting on the GIGABYTE one.
I'm about to test install FreeBSD 9.1 on the GIGABYTE one to see it is OS issue, but if anyone have some idea, would be really appreciated.

Imagine you have BIG FreeNAS box running on the production environment, how we could get sleep.

H/W monitoring is big gap, comparing to the paid box, but if FreeNAS could get improved World will definitely be changed.

Thank you.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This isn't a guide.. so I'm moving this thread.

To be honest, this is asked for regularly. Using custom scripts and cronjobs you could easily monitor temps(or just about ANYTHING you want). I get nightly emails of my temps throughout the day along with a nightly SMART data report for all of my hard drives. Also, if you are really looking at H/W monitoring you are really looking for hardware that does its own monitoring via IPMI and whatnot. The last thing you want is to be limited by the OS you use.

The REAL question is what do you want to monitor and how often do you want to do it. With some google searching you should be able to easily create scripts to do any and all monitoring you want.

maniti

Cadet

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some hardware(especially non-server grade) often do not provide good CPU temp resources. For whatever reason, based on my observations in this forum, it seems that AMD based systems are less likely to have a CPU temp sensor that works properly with FreeBSD/FreeNAS. Intel systems typically work, except for some proprietary hardware (for example, some HP servers). My guess is if you're not getting results on your Gigabyte board and the other commands aren't working(or aren't available in FreeNAS) you may be out of luck. You could try installing a full version of FreeBSD 9.1 like you were considering and see if you can get it to work. My first guess is you are gonna be disappointed.

I tried googling your exact motherboard and I couldn't find anyone that said it did or didn't work, so you may just have hardware that isn't compatible.

I'm only an Intel user myself, but every board I have used with an Intel CPU has worked fine(All of my test beds have been Gigabyte motherboards). But every system I've run FreeNAS on has had monitoring parameters that worked. In fact, I don't even question if it will or won't work because I've never been disappointed. I use Gigabyte motherboards for non-servers and Supermicro motherboards for servers personally. I know that AMD has had obstacles with CPU temperatures(not them getting too hot, but having a standard tool to monitor temps). From what I've read(because I'm not a fan of AMD) they've gone from no temperature at all(back in the 90s) to having an RTD under the socket(just about pointless if you're an engineer and understand heat transfer equations) to on-chip, then back to an optional RTD. At each of these steps AMD provided little or no framework for companies to standardize the reading of temperatures(this has been one of my complaints for a very long time). I'm not sure how their latest generation works because they are so underwhelming in performance I have stopped bothering with even reading reviews or detailed info on their CPU design. Despite not being a fan of AMD, I definitely would like to see them give Intel a run for their money. Hopefully they don't go bankrupt before then.

This may be something where you'll have to figure out if your hardware does even provide CPU temps in one of the standardized methods available that can be processed by FreeBSD.

maniti

Cadet
Greeting,

Thank you again for the additional infos, seem AMD world is not quite interesting :confused:

My job is to take care the office Infrastructure.
My best fun job is to build FreeNAS with custom H/W and to get it as cheap as posible also the performance should still acceptable.
To archive the goal the only solution is using open-source and FreeNAS is the best on my choice.

But according to my private test, I would not said that, the excellent is the word I could say.
NAS Test.png

I'm an Intel fan as well :) but I still interesting on AMD because it is cheaper, and my best love is it has 7xPorts SATA 6Gb.
Comparing to my next plan FreeNAS box that I'm going to custom build it with in a few weeks, seem I'd better do more work. :cool:
NAS.png

H/W monitoring is thing that I can't leave eyes OFF, and I do believe FreeNAS maker also do.
Would not be an issue if I willing to pay for the Server-Grade mobo.

My facebook community friend point me down to the interesting post on http://marc.info/?l=lm-sensors&m=135938134300978,
un-luck that seem lm-sensors would not love to run on FreeBSD. I'm thinking to get it re-compile.

But anyway I'll still testing on and would update to this post, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.