CPU spiking hard every minute

Status
Not open for further replies.

par

Explorer
I am on latest FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE. Roughly 2 weeks ago the CPU usage really went up (after a minor update that was made available at that time). I determined that it was the base system doing something with Python. Anyone know what happened, or anyone experiencing the same? I read some similar error that occurred back in March but it has since been patched out.

Here's what I see, before updating 2 weeks ago average idle was 95% with no blue spikes:

oh9GR23.png

Things I've tried to no resolve:
  1. "Verify Install"
  2. reboot
  3. shutdown all jails (basically nothing running at this point)

Attachments

• cpu93.png
    cpu93.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yep, that's normal. AFAIK it's the script that handle the snapshots that is doing that.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Yep, that's normal. AFAIK it's the script that handle the snapshots that is doing that.
Do you mean it's normal if you have periodic snapshots enabled? I'm not seeing anything like that, but I have no periodic snapshots enabled.
CPU.png

Bidule0hm

For some reason the peaks aren't here 24/7. I don't know why but it's the same on my NAS, one day they are here, the next they aren't...

Last edited:

par

Explorer

Thanks, it was specifically having a periodic snapshot enabled that was causing the spikes. I disabled the periodic snapshot which was only configured to take a snapshot once per day, and the problem went away. I must have enabled this at around the same time I updated FreeNAS and forgot about it. Think I might be sticking with manual snapshots from now on. The seemingly high spikes may be due to my relatively low-power CPU, which is a AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor.

Disabling periodic snapshots resulted in the regular CPU spikes going away, as shown in the attachment, just after 11:20:

Attachments

• periodic-snapshots-disabled.png
    periodic-snapshots-disabled.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 222

John Gorst

Dabbler
Thanks, it was specifically having a periodic snapshot enabled that was causing the spikes. I disabled the periodic snapshot which was only configured to take a snapshot once per day, and the problem went away. I must have enabled this at around the same time I updated FreeNAS and forgot about it. Think I might be sticking with manual snapshots from now on. The seemingly high spikes may be due to my relatively low-power CPU, which is a AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor.

Disabling periodic snapshots resulted in the regular CPU spikes going away, as shown in the attachment, just after 11:20:

I had a similar issue with my N54L

The issue was a lot less when I reduced the number of snapshots - if you look at the web GUI--> Storage--> Snapshots

How long does that page take to load? That is what your box is doing every minute to check if it needs to do new or expire old snapshots as far as I can tell.

Reduce the frequency of snapshots and have a shorter expiry will help a lot.

rogerh

Guru
I had a similar issue with my N54L

The issue was a lot less when I reduced the number of snapshots - if you look at the web GUI--> Storage--> Snapshots

How long does that page take to load? That is what your box is doing every minute to check if it needs to do new or expire old snapshots as far as I can tell.

Reduce the frequency of snapshots and have a shorter expiry will help a lot.

As someone recently pointed out to me (perhaps it is obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me that replication doesn't care how many snapshot tasks are set), you can do a number of concurrent snapshot tasks to do hourly lasting for a day, daily lasting for a week, weekly for a month, monthly for a year and combine having a long-lasting snapshots (useful if you accidentally discard or break something and don't notice for a bit) with frequent recent ones and still have a manageable total number of snapshots.

Bidule0hm

That's what I do, I currently only have 237 snapshots ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.