CPU Critical Temperature Alerts in Daily Security Run

dsouleles

Dabbler
Beginning with the 11.2 upgrade almost every day I get a "local security run" email with critical temperature detected messages on one or more cores like the following:

> coretemp3: critical temperature detected, suggest system shutdown
> coretemp2: critical temperature detected, suggest system shutdown

The dashboard CPU temperature reads a steady 32C any time I check, however I just ran this:

sysctl -a | egrep -E "cpu\.[0-9]+\.temp"
dev.cpu.3.temperature: 48.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 55.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 54.0C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 51.0C

The CPU is a Core i5-3570K with the stock CPU fan installed and I verified that the fan is running. tjmax on the processor is 150C.

Any ideas what might be going on? Why am I getting critical temperature alerts? What is the dashboard CPU temperature displaying? What accounts for the difference between the dashboard and what I got back from form the sysctl command?

Thank you,

Dean

D

dlavigne

This is probably worth reporting at bugs.freenas.org. If you do, post the issue number here.

dsouleles

Dabbler
Final update...

1. The CPU temperature graph in the new GUI is not showing the correct temperature. There is an open bug report on this.
2. The alerts were accurate and I did need to replace my CPU fan. After replacing the fan ($9 at Micro Center, 10 minutes work) temps reported by sysctl are the following:

dev.cpu.3.temperature: 38.0C
dev.cpu.2.temperature: 34.0C
dev.cpu.1.temperature: 27.0C
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 34.0C

Thanks to the Freenas team for great support and working with me.

Dean