Couple of questions about graphics card on TrueNAS Core

simos.sigma

Dabbler
@simos.sigma , I think you went for TrueNAS Core with misguided expectations about what it is intended to be used for. What I mean to say is that somehow you were made to believe that TrueNAS Core makes a good base for multimedia stuff.

Would you mind letting us know how you came to choose TrueNAS Core...
Hm... I don't know, wherever I searched for media server etc I found articles and videos mostly about TrueNAS!!!
...what you want to achieve overall?
I mainly want to have a home media server that will serve maximum to one client. Do you have something else to propose?

Where did you get that info? I cannot find anywhere to confirm the GTX 560 (Gfx11) supports NVENC. Even Nvidia's own hardware support matrix excludes your card.
From "Bard".

danb35

Hall of Famer
I mainly want to have a home media server that will serve maximum to one client. Do you have something else to propose?
TrueNAS SCALE
OpenMediaVault
UnRAID

With any of these, you're going to need to invest some time with the docs to understand what they are, what they do, and how to make them do it. Or you could just run Plex/Emby/Jellyfin on whatever Windows PC you might have. If all you want is a home media server, TrueNAS is gross overkill for your needs.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
In addition, having had "home media servers" since 2004, I would like to emphasize that this is a very broad term. Back in 2004 it usually meant a PC that would work as a digital VCR from analogue TV. Does anyone still know the Hauppauge PVR-350?

Today I use TrueNAS Core in that context merely as an SMB server that feeds a Raspberry Pi running Kodi. But there is a plethora of other use-cases out there. So the more specific you can be, the more help you will get.

Does anyone still know the Hauppauge PVR-350?
I used to it record television shows to watch later on my custom-built Windows XP "Home DVR". :grin:

(I never ended up watching any of my recorded sows, and eventually we entered the convenient world of online steaming services.)

Whattteva

Wizard
In addition, having had "home media servers" since 2004, I would like to emphasize that this is a very broad term. Back in 2004 it usually meant a PC that would work as a digital VCR from analogue TV. Does anyone still know the Hauppauge PVR-350?
I used a Happauge gear, but it was their TV tuner card.

Today I use TrueNAS Core in that context merely as an SMB server that feeds a Raspberry Pi running Kodi.
I did this for a while with my Raspberry Pi 4 for a bit, but I found that it's severely lacking in power especially for 4k videos. I also hate that Kodi has to run full screen on it. I switched to the 1 Liter micro PC and the experience is just leaps and bounds better.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I use SMB to manage my media and NFS for read-only export. Infuse Player on every device lets me browse and play my library. It was the only solution I found that satisfyingly reads and uses embedded metadata.

Whattteva

Wizard
Ah no wonder I have never heard of that player. It's an Apple only thing. I'm not a big fan of such things... funny coming from someone like me whose day job is iOS developer.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
I have a ton of media from ripped DVDs and BRs I own with meticulously curated metadata - actors, director, producer, cover image, episode summary ... inside the files as ID3 tags. And then Plex and Kobi and friends download arbitrary garbage from the Internet based on the file names ... WTF?

That's why I ended up paying for Infuse. Very satisfied customer.

simos.sigma

Dabbler
TrueNAS SCALE
OpenMediaVault
UnRAID

With any of these, you're going to need to invest some time with the docs to understand what they are, what they do, and how to make them do it. Or you could just run Plex/Emby/Jellyfin on whatever Windows PC you might have. If all you want is a home media server, TrueNAS is gross overkill for your needs.
I’m willing to do as you say, but if I want to use the particular machine that I mentioned in my signature, is it okay or is it too old to use anyway?
But there is a plethora of other use-cases out there. So the more specific you can be, the more help you will get.
I want to turn one of my old PCs, in this particular case the one with the specs you see in my signature, into a home media server that will contain my movies, music, photos, etc. But mainly movies. And I also want to have the ability to send these media to my Chrome Cast(s), smartphone(s), TV(s) etc, but only to one of them at a time...

danb35

Hall of Famer
I’m willing to do as you say, but if I want to use the particular machine that I mentioned in my signature, is it okay or is it too old to use anyway?
Whether it's to old or otherwise unsuitable for some other OS I don't know; you'd need to check with them. But it doesn't meet even the minimum RAM requirement for a base installation of CORE, much less SCALE, and certainly not with a media server running. The front-side bus is going to kill any performance, and the onboard Realtek NIC is known to be a POS. Your hardware is entirely unsuitable for any version (edit: just to be clear, this means "any version, ever," not just "any current version") of Free/TrueNAS.

Whattteva

Wizard
I want to turn one of my old PCs, in this particular case the one with the specs you see in my signature, into a home media server that will contain my movies, music, photos, etc. But mainly movies. And I also want to have the ability to send these media to my Chrome Cast(s), smartphone(s), TV(s) etc, but only to one of them at a time...
Holy smokes, that thing is older than some teenagers in my family. It's older than even the last system in my signature that I have retired, and by a lot too.

On a more serious note, you can probably use OpenMediaVault on that, but don't expect miracles and I probably won't even bother with transcoding. Just use it as a file server/streamer and just let the devices render it themselves.

simos.sigma

Dabbler
On a more serious note, you can probably use OpenMediaVault on that, but don't expect miracles and I probably won't even bother with transcoding. Just use it as a file server/streamer and just let the devices render it themselves.
Hm, after all these answers, I thought "it was just a dream and it's gone" and I was ready to strip this machine for parts. I just saw a video about OpenMediaVault and I'm thinking of giving it one more chance before I strip it for parts.

I have three questions:

1. Can I do that using Jellyfin for OpenMediaVault or do I have to find another way?

2. Will the disk with my media files in TrueNAS Core be gone? Do I have to format the disk and transfer those files back again, or is there any trick to make them available in OpenMediaVault as they are?

3. Can OpenMediaVault take advantage of the specific GPU, it could be useful anywhere except for transcoding, or would it be better to remove it in order not to burden the PSU?

sretalla