couldn't create Pools until after I installed multipath-tools then rebooted

soccrstar

Cadet
Hello all,

thanks again for this!

I solved the problem but Incase others having the same issue.

I tried creating a pool but kept getting this error "'one or more vdevs refer to the same device, or one of\nthe devices is part of an active md or lvm device" and couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought maybe I didn't wipe the drives as I had used them in a test pool so i low level formatted them all and tried again and same issue. I then turned to googfu and found a page describing a similar issue... "It means that the controller provides dual or multiple paths to the disks. – alvits May 16 '15 at 1:17"

so I did some apt search since scale is based on debian, downloaded, and installed multipath-tools. tried again to create pools and still wouldn't work so I figure I reboot and see if it'll work so I did.

I was able to create my pool after restart and installation of multipath-tools.

I guess my controller multipaths and was duplicating even though it was only showing 4 drives in storage section. the multipath package fixed it.

Now to find how to get my mellanox connectx-3 pro card to be recognized, probably another package.

I know this is alpha and not on my main system. I have it installed on my workstation and testing it. I know with truenas beta, etc there was a way to auto send feedback and usage, etc to help with development. haven't fully wondered around in scale yet, is there such option to help beta test by sending in data for scale as well?

Deeda

Explorer
Also had same issue. Tried multiple things from short wiping the drives, restarting multiple times, doing a long wipe overnight. Those things didn't work.

Today I powered it off completely, tuned it back on, and the pool then created successfully. Hopefully the bug will be fixed soon.