Correct storage setup for a print company

Status
Not open for further replies.

nidur

Dabbler
What in your opinion would be the ideal storage setup for a print company.

There needs to be one shared folder for the projects for mac's and pc's, 10-15 connections at a time.
So we are talking mostly speeds but reliability, this shared folder will be backed up nightly to another fileserver.

Around 4 TB disk space needed.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What speeds are we talking about? Anything goes (almost) for GbE and file serving, but you'll need to plan things carefully if you need more.

nidur

Dabbler
Atleast 2 nic's preferably 4 to the network.

We are talking about files mostly in the <100mb range

Is 200MB read/write scenario asking for much, I was thinking to set up 6 disks as a 3 mirrored vdevs striped.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Atleast 2 nic's preferably 4 to the network.

We are talking about files mostly in the <100mb range

Is 200MB read/write scenario asking for much, I was thinking to set up 6 disks as a 3 mirrored vdevs striped.

Your case is a bit at the edge of what is Link Aggregation territory, but it should be worth the trouble for 10-15 connections.

In any case, 3 mirrored vdevs (I'm assuming regular desktop drives or better) should be fine, maybe even overkill (depends on your IOPS needs). Maybe you could even get away with a single RAIDZ2 vdev, again, depending on the specific workload. 200MB/s is not a problem for single users even with single RAIDZ3 vdevs, so three vdevs should behave nicely with a couple of users. Maybe someone will have some numbers to share that are from a similar situation to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.