Copying between CIFS shares (two different FreeNAS boxes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowmirage

Dabbler
Hopefully someone has an idea how I can do this other than what I've come up with so far...

I have two FreeNAS servers, One the older version pre FreeNAS8 that i've been using for years.

The other my newly built FreeNAS8 server.

I need to migrate ~1TB of data from a CIFS share on the first to a new CIFS share on the second.

(BTW the 1st and older server is running in a VM under ESXi, so its not as though I can just pull the drive and try to import the share into the new server)

I did some digging and I was able to mount the 2nd servers CIFS share on the 1st server, figured copying from share to share like that should be much quicker than doing a Copy paste in windows on a 3rd pc.

I didn't want to just "cp source destination" as I wouldn't have any indication if it was going to take a day or two to copy or 6 months... looked tried something to the effect of "scp 1stserverCIFSshare localhost:2ndserverCIFSshare (locally mounted)" but that was barely reaching 1.5MB/s according to scp's output.

Any ideas how I can manage this a bit faster?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Honestly, I don't have any good ideas. I always thought if I was in your situation I'd just do a 'cp'. Have you tried doing the transfer with just cp? Are you that concerned with the data being intercepted during the transfer? The 'scp' could be adding overhead that is slowing down the transfer.

praecorloth

Contributor
I didn't want to just "cp source destination" as I wouldn't have any indication if it was going to take a day or two to copy or 6 months... looked tried something to the effect of "scp 1stserverCIFSshare localhost:2ndserverCIFSshare (locally mounted)" but that was barely reaching 1.5MB/s according to scp's output.

Any ideas how I can manage this a bit faster?

You mention that you've been using that one FreeNAS server for years. Is it possible that the NIC on that server is a straight up 10Mbit NIC?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you do a 'cp' of a folder you know the size of you should be able to get a guesstimate of how long it will take for the server. You could always look at the destination server file structure to see which folders are left if you are familiar with the folder structure.

Edit: Obviously, 1.5MB/sec isn't going to work. It could take you days or months(maybe years) depending on how much data you have. If using 'cp' is your only option and you have to do it with only a guestimate I'd say it's a better option than what you have right now.

If you do "cp -v source destination" you will get a text output of what it is working on. You could also try to do an FTP copy. Although I have no clue how to do that. I'm not too familiar with unix commands yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.