share one folder under two CIFS shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohscorpion

Cadet
hi
is there possible to share a location under two different cifs shares ?
i have setup a home folder for my users and i want to share the homefolder's parent directory so another user can see all home directories .
i tried to share parent folder but when i set permission for parent folder , all users lost access to their respective home folders.
i tried to share home folders using NFS but that also seems unwise because anyone in active directory can mount that using nfs client.

mohscorpion

Cadet
no i have set up active directory and set permission for it's users , but i haven't joined active directory

L

L

Don't do it under... but on the side. Create a separate dataset for the shared folder.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I currently have this set up at work. I have a [users] share and home directories are located under it. Domain admins have full access to all home directories through the share. Regular users only have access to their own share. Shares are also automatically mapped when users log into client computer using ad credentials. It is a bit complicated to set up, but I will post details tomorrow if I have time.

It requires freenas be an ad member server and you should not use the special [homes] share.

mohscorpion

Cadet
if i don't use special home share , it means i have to create a folder for each account and set permissions separately it will be difficult with lots of accounts . also i lose special mount shortcut share for each account name .

Status
Not open for further replies.