cool new OS i happened accross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, even if they were badasses and had a usable OS today I wouldn't even consider trusting them with my data for at least a year or two. In my book they need to earn some reputation for quality and not doing silly/stupid things with *my* data. ;)

Interesting though, I'll probably keep an eye on it from time to time just to see how they are doing.

Zedicus

Explorer
you sir, are the king of 'not in my back yard' or 'better safe then sorry' . :p thats not a bad thing, but its also the reason why windows xp hung on for so long. sometimes you gotta let go man, in the name of progress.
;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not at all. It's called "risk management". If I upgrade my desktop and it goes bad I'm out a days time to reinstall and go back (aka not a big deal). Upgrade you OS and trash your server and you'll be out months of time while you re accumulate your data.

Comparing upgrading a desktop to upgrading a server is apples-to-oranges. Not a close comparison in the slightest.

Whattteva

Wizard
you sir, are the king of 'not in my back yard' or 'better safe then sorry' . :p thats not a bad thing, but its also the reason why windows xp hung on for so long. sometimes you gotta let go man, in the name of progress.
;)
That's not really a fair analysis though. While it is true that Windows XP has far outlived its days, successors like Windows 7 already more than earned enough reputation.
That new OS that was linked on first post would be more equivalent to his reluctance to switch to Windows 9, 10, etc. from Windows 7 (not XP) cause they have yet to earn a reputation.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
;)
I think that's the voice of experience. Enough time around servers when things go wrong and you learn to be very conservative.

I once saw about 15TB data (probably about $1 million of man-hours) get trashed because the sysadmin was 'shooting from the hip' rather than carefully planning out what he was doing. I mostly saw the aftermath, but am still traumatized.

Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:

DaPlumber

Patron
similar to illumian in theory but not in practice. considering how new it is it borders on usable. i am not affiliated in any way.

http://osdyson.org/projects/dyson/wiki

OpenSolaris is dead guys. Oracle killed it, let it rest in peace.

At least that's my knee-jerk reaction. I still miss it and it was headed in the direction of a Debian-ish layer on top of the kernel anyway. For all it's likable technical architecture, I just don't see Dyson gaining critical mass. If you want Solaris, use Solaris 11. It's effectively free for home/non-"production" use and monetizes a paid-support model for production use if it didn't come bundled with Oracle hardware. It's competitively priced compared to RedHat et. al. IMO. "horses for courses" as my grandfather used to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.