Converted Franken-QNAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I had a TVS-EC1080 QNAP Device. Was tired of not being able to use ZFS and I decided enough was enough. I loaded a 8GB flash drive with the FreeNAS 9.10.2 and off I go. Here is my Hardware:

10 Bay TVS-EC1080
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1246 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB ECC RAM
Ethernet Controller 10-Gigabit X540-AT2
7x WD Red PRO 3TB (A 4TB on the way for 8)
1x Crucial M4 256GB SSD for L2ARC (Auto tuned to 40GB)
1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB mSATA for ZIL (Another on the way for Mirror)

Question 1: Any problems with this setup?
Question 2: Redoing my vdevs to do mirrored pair would be better for the small amount of virtualization I am doing?
Question 3: Mirror pair vdev, does data get striped across the sets?

Linkman

Patron
Based on my reading around the forums, you do not need the L2ARC device, with only 32GB of system RAM you'll probably slow performance. And the Samsung's are probably not sufficient for a ZIL, consumer devices, and no power loss protection.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
1x Crucial M4 256GB SSD for L2ARC (Auto tuned to 40GB)
1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB mSATA for ZIL (Another on the way for Mirror)

Get rid of those. L2ARC with so little RAM is unlikely to do you any good.

As for SLOG, if you don't know that you need it, you don't need it. Those drives are also woefully inadequate for SLOG - anything less than an SSD with power loss protection is about as useful as doing exclusively async writes, at which point you're better off turning off sync and saving the SSD.
Question 2: Redoing my vdevs to do mirrored pair would be better for the small amount of virtualization I am doing?
Depends.
Question 3: Mirror pair vdev, does data get striped across the sets?
Yes, naturally.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With the 3 SSD's freed up, would it be worthwhile to create a 3xSSD Z1, or a 2xSSD mirror for straight storage?
I dunno, what would you use them for? And note that the M4 is much slower than the Samsungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.