Contemplating Xeon-D upgrade

Constantin

Vampire Pig
You may have seen my latest post in the updates help section, but my ASRock 2750D4I motherboard seems to have failed again (the Intel clock bug got the first one).

I'm somewhat unhappy with ASRocks reliability at this point (the replacement board is less than a year old). I'm considering the following upgrade path and would like to get feedback. The use case is relatively future-proof SOHO, with an extant 10GB/s network. The pool described in my signature would port over.
  • Motherboard: SuperMicro X10SDV-7TP4F
  • SLOG: Intel Optane P4801X (replacing the two Intel SSDs doing that right now)
  • RAM: 2 Sticks of HMA84GR7AFR4N-UH RAM (32GB ea). This leaves me room to expand in the future.
  • 2 SuperMicro 64GB SATADOMs to be mirrored (can clone the extant 32GB OEM to one of them, then repeat with second one?)
  • Various Heat sink upgrades for SAS and CPU (CoolJag BUF-A for CPU, EnzoTech ELF-1 Ultra for SAS)
Because the motherboard is Flex ATX, it will likely just not fit inside my Lian Li Q26, requiring me to revert to the A76. Oh well. Thoughts?

Last edited:
We have FreeNAS deployed on both the X10SDV-7TP4F-O and X10SDV-TLN4F-O. Happy with both. Plenty of power and RAM capacity, 10gbe on board and, in the case of the 7TP4F, plenty of SATA/SAS ports. I'm using stock cooling on both and haven't run into any problems. Solid platform and low power draw.

Cheers,
Matt