Constant Drive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

B3yondBlu

Cadet
Since about December of last year I've had constant hard drive failures. I have replaced the drive about 5 times now since then, brand new drive each time. The kicker is its always been the same slot drive that needs to be replace. Every time I swap it out with a new one it holds for about 2 weeks then fails. First I thought it might have been the SAS controller on the motherboard. So I switch it to another SAS controller since the motherboard has 2 controllers. After a few days again I had the same failure with the same drive. Next I tired changing power supply output cable. That held for a few days and again it failed again with the same errors and drive. Really not sure where to go next or maybe I've overlooked something. Its just too much of coincidence of the same drive to fail over and over again within a short period of time.

Reoccurring error
============
Code:
> (da3:mps0:0:9:0): WRITE(10). CDB: 2a 00 36 55 a1 58 00 00 b0 00
> (da3:mps0:0:9:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
> (da3:mps0:0:9:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
> (da3:mps0:0:9:0): SCSI sense: UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0 (Power on,
> reset, or bus device reset occurred)
> (da3:mps0:0:9:0): Retrying command (per sense data)

My System
=======
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
Mobo: Asrock E3C224D4I-14S
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 ECC
Storage: 10x Seagate Ironwolf

Last edited by a moderator:

Stux

MVP
What's the PSU? Is it undersized perhaps?

Green750one

Dabbler
What psu are you running? I've had similar issues where I had too many drives on a single cable. Splitting them out and spreading them equally over several cables fixed the issue.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick2253

Wizard
If you've changed everything on the slot (power source, controller, and all the cabling), then the obvious conclusion is that the slot is bad. Definitely an uncommon failure, but not unheard of. If this is the case, my assumption is that it's probably a bad trace somewhere in the backplane, which isn't trivial to repair.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Have you tested the drives after replacing them? Are they damaged? I would wonder about the physical mounting in that spot. Vibration kills drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.