Array Degraded - Help

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't see anything with that SMART status that tells me there is a problem with the drive.
You might want to do a zpool clear and run another scrub.

LIGISTX

Guru
I don't see anything with that SMART status that tells me there is a problem with the drive.
You might want to do a zpool clear and run another scrub.

Ok. I’ll give that a try tonight and see how it does. Thanks!

rvassar

Guru
Just a thought from a late arrival... You mentioned at the beginning that you had a cable issue. I want to point out that cables can fail. It's not common or even on our radar most of the time, but it can happen. The internal SATA cable plug is only rated for 50 insertion events. You may also want to check for sharp cable bends that can cause signal to noise issues, etc... Also, if you had a cable come loose, and reseated it, you may have incurred inadvertent damage to the drive's controller in the process.

If you're using a SAS HBA, with SAS to SATA fanout cables, and don't have a spare cable, you can test this theory by plugging the problem drive into a motherboard SATA port. ZFS will figure out where the drive is supposed to be in the pool. (If you're running ESXi Passthru perhaps not...)

LIGISTX

Guru
Just a thought from a late arrival... You mentioned at the beginning that you had a cable issue. I want to point out that cables can fail. It's not common or even on our radar most of the time, but it can happen. The internal SATA cable plug is only rated for 50 insertion events. You may also want to check for sharp cable bends that can cause signal to noise issues, etc... Also, if you had a cable come loose, and reseated it, you may have incurred inadvertent damage to the drive's controller in the process.

If you're using a SAS HBA, with SAS to SATA fanout cables, and don't have a spare cable, you can test this theory by plugging the problem drive into a motherboard SATA port. ZFS will figure out where the drive is supposed to be in the pool. (If you're running ESXi Passthru perhaps not...)

My HBA sas->sata has extra plugs I can try, but let’s see if it was just a strange hiccup of a cable being loose once that may have caused an issue first? Running a scrub now to see what it say, then if that gives an issue I can try cable swapping.