Connect 2 Nic's to 2 different computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjoerdbird

Dabbler
Hello,

I've got a freenas system with 1 nic on my motherboard and 1 nic in my pci slot.
Is it possible to connect the nic's to two different computers and get the full gigabit transfer speeds on both machines? And if its possible how can I do that?
Thanks!

paleoN

Wizard
Is it possible to connect the nic's to two different computers and get the full gigabit transfer speeds on both machines?
o_O Buy some patch cables and plug them in, assign different IPs to the NICs, set the clients to each use one of the IPs.

sjoerdbird

Dabbler
o_O Buy some patch cables and plug them in, assign different IPs to the NICs, set the clients to each use one of the IPs.

Sorry i'm new to freenas. I assigned one nic to ip 192.168.2.150/24 and the other to 192.168.2.151/24.
When i connect both nics to a different computer only one works and how do i set the client to use one of the ip's?

gpsguy

Why did you connect both NIC's to one computer?

"Is it possible to connect the nic's to two different computers"

When i connect both nics to a different computer only one works and how do i set the client to use one of the ip's?

If you connect each one to different computers, you shouldn't need to do anything on the client side. Are all the connections gigabit ethernet? If you have a slower connection in the mix, you'll need to use a crossover cable for that connection.

sjoerdbird

Dabbler
If you connect each one to different computers said:
All of the connections are gigabit ethernet, but on one of the computers I get the error "cannot connect to freenas".
When i connect that same computer without the other connected also, the connection is fine.
Both of the computers are running mac osx and my shares are connected via AFP.

sjoerdbird

Dabbler
If you connect each one to different computers, you shouldn't need to do anything on the client side. Are all the connections gigabit ethernet? If you have a slower connection in the mix, you'll need to use a crossover cable for that connection.

All of the connections are gigabit ethernet, but on one of the computers I get the error "cannot connect to freenas".
When i connect that same computer without the other connected also, the connection is fine.
Both of the computers are running mac osx and my shares are connected via AFP.​

Status
Not open for further replies.