Configuring LDAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdag

Cadet
Hello all,

I would like to check wether or not FreeNAS could be interesting to replace our SMB file
server running on a Linux box (LVM + RAID5). We are the computing department of a french
university and we are autonomous for all technical purposes, excepted Information System i.e.
an OpenLDAP directory is produced by a central team and we use it to control access to logins, printers, file sharing (mainly students home directories), ...
Well, the page numbered 170 of the "FreeNas 9.2.0 Users guide" sounds strange to me because of the "Root Bind DN Password". I have not any access to this information, currently our SMB server is
using LDAP without this need.
So, before installing anything, my question is : is there a way to configure an LDAP service to control access to FreeNAS SMB shares without this root bind dn password ?

Any help would be appreciated !

François Dagorn
Université de Rennes 1
France

D

dlavigne

I'm pretty sure that setting is optional. If it turns out to be mandatory, you can create a feature request at bugs.freenas.org requesting that it be optional for scenarios that do not require a rootpw.

fdag

Cadet
Hum, seems to be mandatory since after configuring the LDAP screen with "Root bind Password"
left empty, I've got the following errors on the console screen :

ldap_connect_system : Failed to retrieve password from secrets.tdb (seems to loop undefinitively)

Status
Not open for further replies.