configuring Jail, IPv6, etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpy

Explorer
So now that my server is seemingly stable, I'm trying to get SABnzbd and the likes working on it. I've done some googling and read the wiki and have found some information that just leads me to believe that I can't just start off with setting up a DNS and using it for IPv6 and then Jail and so on.

I have a DNS set up through afraid.org but it needs an IP for FreeNAS. I've tried using the Shell to get a public IP but all i found are 192.168 IP's which is very different from the IP auto-entered when using my laptop. How do I find this IP? I currently only have DHCP set up, do I need to set something up first?

Then once I get said IP and the configuration to get the IP and get the DNS set up, I next have to pick a Jail IP. It says to pick one that's pingable, so does that mean I set up an IP in my router for it or pick, say, my laptop for example?

From there I pick /24 as the netmask and then proceed I assume.

thanks, hope my questions were clear lol.

Prkl8r

Dabbler
If you go to the FAQ section at the Afraid.org you will need to check out the: [Jump to #2] Is there a program/script for updating my IP in FreeDNS? section.

This will update the afraid.org with your public IP address so their DNS will forward to the appropriate IP. You will then need to set up the appropriate ports on your router to forward to the FreeNas. I would advise setting up your router with static IPs so that your FreeNas is always 192.168.x.a and your jail is always 192.168.x.b this way your router will always send traffic on port y to the appropriate LAN IP.

jumpy

Explorer
okay so the IP that's shown from my laptop is fine to use? i just have to forward ports to freeNAS? i have my freeNAS server setup to always be connected to by one IP at least internally. is that what you mean by static IP?

ahhhhhhh got the static ip setup

but how would i set up a separate jail ip if the jail is on the same system?

jumpy

Explorer
anybody?

i got the static IP, but from what i've read i need a separate static ip for the jail. the jail would be on the same server, so how would i identify a second ip for the jail on the same system?

fracai

Guru
You define the Jail IP when setting up the Jail. Just pick an IP that isn't in the range dynamically assigned by your router.

jumpy

Explorer
gotcha. thanks.

okay, i'm retarded. do i need to make a second static IP for the Jail itself? if so, my router (Tomato) only allows one static ip per MAC.

fracai

Guru
The Jail currently generates a new MAC each time it is started and also negotiates with the router to claim the IP that you define when setting up the Jail. FreeNAS 9 will have an option for defining a static MAC, which should allow the IP to be reserved on the router.

Basically, define the IP in the FreeNAS GUI when you set up the Jail. As long as nothing else is using that IP, you're fine.

Usually you can tell the router what the range of dynamic IPs are, so just pick something not in that range for the Jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.