Configure Static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Hello all,
my FreeNAS 8.0 works fine and with DHCP configuration I'm able to contact external site (for example the SMTP server from google).

I need to setup now a static IP, so I configured add Interface with the following parameters:

IPv4 Address
re0 192.168.10.6/24
Nameserver: 192.168.10.1
Default route: 192.168.10.1

The problem there is I cannot ping anymore any external site. However the DNS works because it resolve the address (like the below example).

Code:
nas# ping google.it
PING google.it (209.85.148.103): 56 data bytes
--- google.it ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

nas# ping 209.85.148.103
PING 209.85.148.103 (209.85.148.103): 56 data bytes
--- 209.85.148.103 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

Now the problem is, why with DHCP works, what I miss?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Lucas,

It could be the DNS still works because the address is in cache. With DHCP you get the DNS server automatically, did you try to manually add a DNS server? Maybe also enter your IP without the /24. I use a static IP address with no problem, but I manually entered all the info like DNS, mask, gateway. Try that and see if it works.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
One reply should be enough :D
Btw, sure DHCP configured something that I miss, but how do you setup the DNS and the other stuff? I have (in v8.0) the following settings:

2qj9fnt.png

htxt7p.png

And then the network Summary:
in8p6u.png

Did I miss something?

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Lucas,

Sorry about the duplicate posts, sometimes that happens here to me here, I don't know why.

Anyway, I usually setup the network with a static IP when I do my installation from the console. I've also looked through the GUI on beta-4 and cannot find where you enter DNS! I think you have found a bug, so NO you didn't miss anything... If you edit the settings from the console you can add the DNS servers there. Hope that helps!

EDIT: Wait, I found it, on the left side bar Network -> Global Configuration
You can put DNS in there. Kind of not where you'd expect to find it.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Sorry about the duplicate posts, sometimes that happens here to me here, I don't know why.
Don't worry, I was just joking! ;)

Anyway, I usually setup the network with a static IP when I do my installation from the console. I've also looked through the GUI on beta-4 and cannot find where you enter DNS! I think you have found a bug, so NO you didn't miss anything... If you edit the settings from the console you can add the DNS servers there. Hope that helps!

EDIT: Wait, I found it, on the left side bar Network -> Global Configuration
You can put DNS in there. Kind of not where you'd expect to find it.
Well, I tried to setup DNS from consolle but without success, where did you setup the DNS on GUI? Maybe on "Domain" setting?

Because as reported on my previous post I have only:
- Hostname
- Domain
- Default Gateway
- Name Server

Mine Default Gateway is the same IP for DNS, it's an hardware firewall (also used as DHCP server).

What are driving me crazy is that with DHCP it works fine!!!! :mad:
And I'm coming from FreeNAS 0.7 where the static IP works without problem! So the issue is on FreeNAS 8.0....

Lucas Rey

Contributor
After some tries I finally hit the goal.

I forced my DHCP server to assign always the same IP based on MAC Address (probably useless, but just to be sure), then, on FreeNAS I configured an interface with DHCP disabled and with static IP plus name server as DNS.

After that, the external site was still unreachable:
Code:
nas# ping google.it
PING google.it (74.125.39.106): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: No route to host
ping: sendto: No route to host

But, since the problem is on the routes, I need to manually setup the Default route directly on console.
Code:
nas# route add default 192.168.10.1

And then finally I can reach any external address
Code:
nas# ping google.it
PING google.it (74.125.39.147): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 74.125.39.147: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=44.141 ms
64 bytes from 74.125.39.147: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=44.124 ms

Thanks for your tips protosd, you help me a lot ;)

ProtoSD

MVP
No problem, you're welcome! It's really strange that the GUI or console config wizard doesn't work for you, but I'm glad something I said got it to work for you.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
No problem, you're welcome! It's really strange that the GUI or console config wizard doesn't work for you, but I'm glad something I said got it to work for you.

Yes it's strange, btw, DNS setup works on GUI, but the problem was the routes, and I cannot setup it from GUI! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.