Compression and ESXi datastores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightNetworks

Explorer
It's a Celeron yes, but it's still a dual core Haswell; it will be faster than some of the old dual core Xeons I've seen used. Gigabit will be your bottleneck way before compression.

Well that is good to know.... My goal was to build a box that could fully saturate a single 1Gbit LAN connection... as long as I can do that I will be happy.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Well that is good to know.... My goal was to build a box that could fully saturate a single 1Gbit LAN connection... as long as I can do that I will be happy.

Assuming you're just after sequential transfer speed that's easy, you can practically do that on a modern Cuisinart.

If you're talking about "1Gbps worth of random I/O, sustained over time or indefinitely" then we need to discuss way more RAM and some SLOG devices.

NightNetworks

Explorer
Assuming you're just after sequential transfer speed that's easy, you can practically do that on a modern Cuisinart.

If you're talking about "1Gbps worth of random I/O, sustained over time or indefinitely" then we need to discuss way more RAM and some SLOG devices.

I am talking sequential... yeah lol I dont need that kind of I/O performance at home... thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If possible I'd go get a Pentium G3220 (or something like that). Celerons are relatively inequipped for ZFS because of their smaller cache size. Obviously if you are happy feel free to keep it that way, but if you start having performance questions (Note: CPU usage will NOT show 100% usage when you hit this bottleneck) then switching to a Pentium would be my first recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.