compatibility between ZoL and OpenZFS for replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjb2018

Dabbler
Hi All - first post here :smile: I've been using ZFS on Linux (Arch Linux) for around 3 years now, just on my home server. It's used for storage of all our personal data (photos, vids, docs etc), as well as for running a number of virtual machines. It's only a small setup really (3 x vdevs each with 2 x 2TB disk mirrored). My backup solution for this has been a bit sketchy, but still better than nothing - I have a raspberry pi (also running Arch Linux) driving a 4TB external HDD sitting on my desk at work and I have a script which runs every night to RSYNC select data from my home server to the PI. To improve this, I have recently built a new machine to replace the PI and I've installed FreeNAS 11.1 U5 on it. It runs really well! I've been tinkering with FreeNAS in a VM at home for maybe a couple of months but this is my first serious use of FreeNAS.

Ideally what I would like is to write a new script to run on the FreeNAS box to pull my pool from home periodically via SSH using ZFS send / receive instead of RSYNC. I've tested this on a single dataset and it works fine, except for one issue which is that when the send / receive is complete the FreeNAS box will not automatically mount the received dataset. I get an "insufficient privileges" error for some reason despite allowing "create,snapshot,receive,mount" permissions for my user on the receiving end. To get around this I can pass the "-u" option to the zfs recv command to skip mounting, and then I can mount the dataset with "zfs mount" when logged in as root. I'm not sure why this is happening - anybody got any ideas?

This has lead me to wonder if there are any major differences between ZoL & OpenZFS which could cause issues with send / recv between the two systems? I know I could just zfs send the pool to a GZIP file on the linux end and rsync that over to the freeNAS box as a regular file, but I would prefer replicate the pool if possible. If anybody can offer some advice / guidance on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
ZoL is OpenZFS, just as on FreeBSD, Illumos, OS X and Windows (the latter with caveats). The only limitations are in the interface with the Linux kernel.

Replication streams are very basic by default and probably work all the way back to the first version that had send/recv. Newer, more advanced features must be manually enabled. The man page for zfs (specifically zfs send and zfs recv) will have more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.