Command Line Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnedstone

Dabbler
Is there a place to find current, continuously updated documentation for the command line, instead of using the UI. For instance, to start with, let's say I wanted to do updates/upgrades from the command line, instead of opening the UI. Where would I find this? And then, I'm sure, I'll have more questions about how I can do "whatever" by the command line, instead of the UI.
Thanks in advance.

kdragon75

Wizard
Presently the only supported way of configuring FreeNAS is the UI. You could conceivably write your own CLI frontend using the published APIs but that's more work than I'm willing to do. At that point you may as well just use Pure FreeBSD.

The broken and defunct FreeNAS Corral had a workable CLI but that was a total disaster. Oddly, I keep pointing out things it did extremely well. :confused:

kdragon75

Wizard
Ok, what I said was not 100% true.. There are a few areas that still allow using the CLI without breaking things.
Managing iocage is *mostly* supported by the shell https://iocage.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Configuring SOME ZFS options must be done via CLI http://open-zfs.org/wiki/System_Administration

Keep in mind that this is a Unix like system (FreeBSD not Linux) and all the GUI wizardry still leverages all the standard utilities. A word of warning though, if you don't know BSD/Linux/Unix, dont muck around, don't try to tune things until you know what you're doing and have a good reason to. There seems to have been a rash of people "tuning" and causing the systems to stop booting or stall on networking etc..

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is a console menu, though, which can be run using /etc/netcli (why is an executable in /etc/? No idea.). And I'm pretty sure you can do updates there.

kdragon75

Wizard

johnedstone

Dabbler
There is a console menu, though, which can be run using /etc/netcli (why is an executable in /etc/? No idea.). And I'm pretty sure you can do updates there.
Yes, thank you. Interesting it's in /etc.
Nevertheless, I found this /usr/local/bin/freenas-update -h and that worked. Good enough for now. Someday, I'll dig deeper, for more

Status
Not open for further replies.