COBIA Features

NickF

Guru
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if IX plans to implement two of the most exciting features into Cobia that were skipped in Bluefin
1676604860666.png

Are clustered Kubernetes and highly available VMs on the table for the next full release?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
HA VMs are sort of in Bluefin with TrueNAS appliances. We are doing more QA work in SCALE 22.12.2.

Kubernetes clusters are delayed. The current focus is on CSI for clusters. There's a Kadalu CSI driver for Gluster that works with SCALE.

The plans for Cobia are getting more solid and will be discussed during Q2. The current focus is Bluefin.1 and .2.

fenio

Cadet
Did anyone try Cobia nightlies and can tell me which kernel version is it shipped with?

fenio

Cadet
6.1 is the plan, but it may change.
Thanks for your answer. But do nightlies already use 6.1 or it's a plan to switch to it from 5.15 later on during development cycle?
I'm asking cause on my hw which is Odroid h3+ virtualization isn't super stable. From time to time my VM simply hangs and I have to restart it. A lot of people reported that this instability isn't the case on kernels 6.x so I'm thinking about switching to Cobia.

Logs when that happens aren't really helpful :/

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Thanks for your answer. But do nightlies already use 6.1 or it's a plan to switch to it from 5.15 later on during development cycle?
I'm asking cause on my hw which is Odroid h3+ virtualization isn't super stable. From time to time my VM simply hangs and I have to restart it. A lot of people reported that this instability isn't the case on kernels 6.x so I'm thinking about switching to Cobia.

Logs when that happens aren't really helpful :/
At this stage, Cobia is not reliable for daily use. Its in development and will have many bugs. I'd suggest waiting for BETA.

fenio

Cadet
At this stage, Cobia is not reliable for daily use. Its in development and will have many bugs. I'd suggest waiting for BETA.
I'm wondering how can I rephrase my question further to eventually get answer which kernel is currently included in Cobia ;)
I know the risks, I know that it's in early stage. But all I want to know is what kernel does it currently use.
Looking at github I'm still seeing Cobia related PRs for 5.15.x so I guess you didn't switch to 6.1.x but I simply need confirmation ;)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm wondering how can I rephrase my question further to eventually get answer which kernel is currently included in Cobia ;)
I know the risks, I know that it's in early stage. But all I want to know is what kernel does it currently use.
Looking at github I'm still seeing Cobia related PRs for 5.15.x so I guess you didn't switch to 6.1.x but I simply need confirmation ;)

The switch to 6.1 is scheduled to happen before BETA... but its when convenient for the Engineering team.

Hello_World

Dabbler
Hi morganL,

Will Cobia provide more user-friendly functional design for individual users? Among the several communities I follow, there is a strong demand for SCALE to provide containers similar to those directly deployed through the command line and to support third-party management tools such as Portainer. Some of them realize their needs by installing Debian in a virtual machine and reading files through NFS, or using Docker in Docker. These methods are very unstable.

Some people tried to make suggestions through TrueNAS Forums and Jira (these features usually exist in Unraid or Synology), but because these requests are not common among enterprise-level users, they are usually rejected or postponed by iX. Some of these requirements are not complicated, such as more flexible hard disk hibernation management, using WebUI to display S.M.A.R.T history, etc.

From the perspective of the number of users, individual users are a large market compared to enterprise users. Perhaps TrueNAS can gain a higher market share by meeting the needs of individual users. In some cases, a one-time license similar to Unraid can be provided for functions that some enterprise users will not use but have strong demand from individual users, so that income can also be obtained from individual users. :)

Hello_World

Dabbler
Hi morganL,

Will Cobia provide more user-friendly functional design for individual users? Among the several communities I follow, there is a strong demand for SCALE to provide containers similar to those directly deployed through the command line and to support third-party management tools such as Portainer. Some of them realize their needs by installing Debian in a virtual machine and reading files through NFS, or using Docker in Docker. These methods are very unstable.

Some people tried to make suggestions through TrueNAS Forums and Jira (these features usually exist in Unraid or Synology), but because these requests are not common among enterprise-level users, they are usually rejected or postponed by iX. Some of these requirements are not complicated, such as more flexible hard disk hibernation management, using WebUI to display S.M.A.R.T history, etc.

From the perspective of the number of users, individual users are a large market compared to enterprise users. Perhaps TrueNAS can gain a higher market share by meeting the needs of individual users. In some cases, a one-time license similar to Unraid can be provided for functions that some enterprise users will not use but have strong demand from individual users, so that income can also be obtained from individual users. :)
Discussions on Reddit also pointed out some differences between TrueNAS and other NAS systems.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
there is a strong demand for SCALE to provide containers similar to those directly deployed through the command line and to support third-party management tools such as Portainer. Some of them realize their needs by installing Debian in a virtual machine and reading files through NFS, or using Docker in Docker. These methods are very unstable.
Have you seen this?:

danb35

Hall of Famer
to provide containers similar to those directly deployed through the command line
What exactly do you mean by "containers" in this context? "Launch Docker Image" is already in the GUI. Docker-compose is available as an app from TrueCharts. If neither of those does what you're asking for, what is it you're looking for here?
to support third-party management tools such as Portainer.
When TrueNAS already has its own management tool, it seems, frankly, silly to add or support another, conflicting management tool. If you want to use Portainer to manage your apps, there's certainly nothing wrong with doing so, but running it in its own VM seems like a perfectly sensible way to handle it, and far better than trying to have it run alongside the existing tools and inevitably conflict with them.
hard disk hibernation management
This is actively a bad idea, as discussed extensively in multiple threads.
WebUI to display S.M.A.R.T history
This is already present.

It doesn't really seem like you've thought your question through very carefully. "More user-friendly functional design for individual users" is not an actionable request, and most of the specifics you mention are already present. And, of course, the vast majority of us here are individual users, and find TrueNAS to be at least reasonably user-friendly and feature-complete (otherwise we'd presumably be using something else).

Hello_World

Dabbler
TrueCharts docker-compose does provide a solution to manage Docker using third-party tools, but SCALE restricts the mapping of directories, so host path management must be performed twice manually, "SCALE to docker-compose"
and "docker-compose to my app". This greatly increases the workload when more directory mapping and rights management are involved.

In fact, TrueCharts docker-compose is an inelegant compromise.
Have you seen this?:

sretalla