CLI NFS exports not updated in GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

disordr

Cadet
I am getting familiar with FreeNAS, having just built a machine to serve NFS home directories for users.
The GUI is great, but to automate things, I rely on the CLI.

After creating the volumes via the GUI, I then started using the CLI to create datasets for users and export them via NFS:

Code:
zfs create home/users/user1

This command is reflected in the GUI : Storage --> View Volumes

I then export this dataset via this command:
Code:
zfs set sharenfs="-network 192.168.0.0/24" home/users/user1

I am able to mount this NFS share on my clients no problem. This last command however is not reflected in the GUI.

It looks like when you create an NFS share via the GUI it puts it into /etc/exports ; using the CLI, its placed in /etc/zfs/exports and therefore not picked up by the GUI.
Is this intentional or a bug?
Not a big problem, but wanted to ask.

I should note that I'm running FreeNAS 8.3.0-Release 64-bit.

Thanks,

Philip

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi disordr,

It's not a bug, it's the way FreeNAS works.....everything in your config gets generated out of a database so when you create something like a share by had the database, and consequently the management web server has no idea that you have done so.

-Will

disordr

Cadet
I assume that means if I ever need to rebuild my FreeNAS install and restore from backup, none of my NFS shares will be saved.
I'll have to automate backing up the /etc/zfs/exports file then.

Thanks for the info.

Philip

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi disordr,

Yes, if you do them by hand you will have to maintain them by hand. Is there any reason you don't use the GUI for this?

-Will

disordr

Cadet
The GUI is great except for automation. I need to automate dataset creations and NFS exports for new users.
Barring an API for the GUI, this is accomplished using the command line.

Status
Not open for further replies.