Sharing multiple directories from a dataset 11.2_U5

Jeriko351

Cadet
So we have an old freeNAS 11.1 server that has individual NFS shares like this
/home/user1
/home/user2
etc....

and it works fine.

We are using the updated version (11.2_U5), we replicated all home directories over, and configured all permissions to be the same

Now when I try to make a NFS share for each individual user I get this error

"You can't share same filesystem with all hosts twice. This is so because /etc/exports does not act like ACL and it is undefined which rule among all overlapping networks will be applied. "

ok kinda makes sence, did a bit of googling and just tried to share /home with "all directories" selected but now no one can mount their home directory.

If I make a single NFS share for user1, user1 can mount it, but when I try to add user2, I get that error.

I'm not sure what the issue is here, I cant imagine the move from 11.1 to 11.2 took away features... that would be a little silly

P.S. I would much prefer just to have one NFS share for all home directories, it just seems the all dirs option doesn't actually do anything....

Edit: found a work around by using the add additional path option but the UI breaks after 10 paths...

Edit:but wait, there's more!!! legacy UI didnt crash after 10paths, so I did all ~50 and saved and BOOM, only 3 of the 50 paths I added are actaully being shared in /etc/exports

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!!!!!!!!! I tried all dirs in legacy ui (same results in /etc/exports as doing it in the new UI) but now I have noticed its actaully working for some of the users. 1/3rd ofthe shares fail because they are apparently not in the same filesystem.... they were all replicated at once, I have no idea why it puts random datasets in other filesystems with no rhyme or reason to why some are like that and not others

Starting to think this may be a post for the bugs section

Final Edit: I have figured it out! half of the home directories did not get mounted for some reason so I had to go in and mount them all manually through the CLI. Now I can share them each individually andbut the all dirs option is still useless.

Logs show no indication that anything failed to mount (or any indication that anything was mounted at all)

bad software is bad

Last edited: