CIFS VFS_preopen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfe

Explorer
Reads in the documentation :
useful for video streaming applications that want to read one file per frame

This VFS module is part of the samba(7) suite.

This module assists applications that want to read numbered files in sequence with very strict latency requirements. One area where this happens in video streaming applications that want to read one file per frame.

When you use this module, a number of helper processes is started that speculatively open files and read a number of bytes to prime the file system cache, so that later on when the real application's request comes along, no disk access is necessary.

This module is stackable.

Will this help the share for video streaming. like to KODI? for video streaming 1080p DTS-HD etc.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Nope. It is designed to for situations where you have to read lots of files sequentially (not a single movie file) and need to eliminate read latency. I.e. your share consists of files with the following naming scheme:

FRAME00000.frm
FRAME00001.frm
FRAME00002.frm

and so on. It is very much an edge use-case, and needs fine-tuning. If you want to improve caching, add RAM. :D

By the way, congrats on finding a relatively obscure VFS object. Reading through the VFS objects manpages can be entertaining (like a stroll through wonderland). There are 40 different VFS modules included in the samba source. I think the iX folks do a good job of pruning them down to the ones typical users might be interested in.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
By the way, congrats on finding a relatively obscure VFS object. Reading through the VFS objects manpages can be entertaining (like a stroll through wonderland). There are 40 different VFS modules included in the samba source. I think the iX folks do a good job of pruning them down to the ones typical users might be interested in.

+1 for this. Definitely something obscure, but definitely has value in certain targeted situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.