CIFS Traffic Slows to a dead stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustymiller

Cadet
System is a Q9550 with 8GB of ram, and 5 * 500Gb drives, in a ZFS-Z5 pack. Running Freenas 8.3.1 B3 x64

I have three gigabit network cards, running from a gigabit switch. Client is a gigabit enabled client. I am trying to copy @ 75Gb of stuff to it it gets@ 9-10Gb of the transfer and then slows to a crawl, and seems to just stop the transfer.

I am not a linux / unix guy by any stretch, but how do i find out where the bottle neck is. The fact i get the first 10 gb of so would seem to point at the Freenas box.

ProtoSD

MVP
Have you looked at the "sticky posts" at the top of the Sharing section?

And what the hell is a "ZFS-Z5 pack"?? :confused:

dustymiller

Cadet
sorry for my typo, i meant a ZFS-Z pool (raid 5 i believe)

Anyhooo, I have had a look at the stick at the top of the sharing section, and that is for slow browsing performance. Not write speeds that drop of a a cliff - literally.

ProtoSD

MVP

Anyhooo, I have had a look at the stick at the top of the sharing section, and that is for slow browsing performance. Not write speeds that drop of a a cliff - literally.

Have a look anyway, those setting are closely related and I've played with them enough to know they should help you.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

You mean RAID-Z1?.. ROFL.

The only time I've seen speeds drop to zero is a failing disk. A disk that doesn't have TLER(read: consumer drives) can get stuck attempting to read a bad sector until the firmware gives up(which can be anywhere from 20-30 seconds to never). I'd check out the SMART data on your drives and do long SMART tests of your drives and see if any of them have problems. This applies to both the drives in your FreeNAS server as well as the drive/RAID you are copy data from.

dustymiller

Cadet
I think i have found the cause, I was trying to have separate lan ports for separate traffic, I have started to use the first port which is a realtek lan card, rather than the two intel ports i have installed, and the traffic magically runs at a decent speed.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks for posting what you discovered. Hopefully it will help other people that take the time to search.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
After I posted I thought about your 3 NICS and wondered if you had tried to use LACP or something. LACP doesn't work the way 99% of people think(you don't really have 3Gb/sec) and if you don't set it up properly it can cause problems.

Unless you have more than 10-15 users logging in simultaneously, its pretty much useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.