CIFS / SMB Broken after shutdown or reboot!!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukedwards

Cadet
My problem is this and after spending the last few hours searching on this forum I can't seem to find any sort of solution. I'm currently using FreeNas 7 (I had major problems with 8). I'm only using this on my home network to share files and do local backups. I have a mixture of windows xp-7 machines and they are all affected the same. If for any reason I shutdown or reboot the FreeNas box I am unable to see it on the network or access the mapped drive on any machine. However if I login and un-check enable under cifs and re-check enable it immediately works on all machines.

Is there something I can do? This is very disappointing as it was eventually going to go to my parents house for a file server when I built a newer better one, but even though it's simple enough for me to fix it won't be for my parents. So to recap: Without shutting down or rebooting anything else, if I shutdown or reboot the FreeNas box in order to regain access to the cifs/smb shares I have to un-check and then re-check the enable box under the cifs options on the FreeNas. Just to see what would happen I've also shut down everything (computers, routers, switches, freeNas, wii, etc..) and started it all back up again.. waited over an hour and still could only re-gain access by un-checking and re-checking that enable box. I also re-installed and setup FreeNas once to see if maybe it was the install but that didn't help at all, just a waste of time. Huge thanks for any help and I apologize in advance if this had been discussed before!! I couldn't find anything related to my problem.

louisk

Patron
Sounds like you may have a corrupt configuration, that for some reason the preference to start samba isn't being saved. If that doesn't solve the problem, the only suggestion I have is to discuss what the issues are with FreeNAS 8. I haven't used FreeNAS 7 for a couple years now.

lukedwards

Cadet
Thanks for the help but I'm a little confused what's supposed to solve my problem? After I shutdown or restart the FreeNas box the checkbox to "Enable" Cifs/SMB is still checked, it's just not working until I un-check and re-check it again. I agree this seems to be a configuration problem, possibly corrupt, however I don't see your solution? Other than to use FreeNAS 8 which is like telling someone they have to use Windows 7 not XP when other than this one problem, FreeNas 7 seems to run rock solid with no issues.

louisk

Patron
Actually, what I'm suggesting is that you work out the issues with the supported product.

I don't know what the problem is with FreeNAS7, I never had that issue. Short of logging in on the console (or ssh) and digging around to figure out why samba isn't starting, I don't have any good suggestions.

lukedwards

Cadet
What I'm getting from that is that supported product to you is "FreeNAS 8". I thank you very much for trying to assist with my problem louisk, however I very kindly must ask that you please discontinue any further attempts unless you actually have a solution that does not include switching to FreeNAS 8. As you said yourself above, you've never had this problem so I'm not sure why you replied to my problem in the first place but I really do appreciate the attempt to help so I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

I'm happy to post any log information or answer any questions that anyone else may have that might help. I also wan't to take the time to mention quick that even though I don't consider myself a compete novice, I do feel like I should know how to do this and haven't been able to figure it out. I originally tried to figure this problem out through the IRC chat but after trying 3 different clients (for example: mIRC) and never being able to figure out how to connect I gave up. The instructions seem so simple, yet I must be missing something because I could never connect. If someone reads this and has any tips on that as well I'd be happy to hear them.. cheers! Wish I had more time to play with it all myself.. my time has been very limited though and have been considering just getting a synology NAS unit as I've never had a problem with them in the past. Just so expensive and I really like everything about FreeNAS!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi lukedwards,

I'm also not a 0.7 user, but figured I might make a couple of suggestions.....

Take a look in the config.xml file in something like Notepad++ & see if there's any funk in there....maybe there's an <CR> or something in there.

Since you have a backup of the config you might as well do a fresh install of 0.7 & restore the config file....maybe you will get lucky & sort it out that way.

Might be totally off-base, but they are both cheap & quick to try.

-Will

ProtoSD

MVP
What I'm getting from that is that supported product to you is "FreeNAS 8". I thank you very much for trying to assist with my problem louisk, however I very kindly must ask that you please discontinue any further attempts unless you actually have a solution that does not include switching to FreeNAS 8.

Luke,

These are the FreeNAS 8 forums and it's supposed to be for the support of FreeNAS 8, not version 7. It's clearly stated in the forum rules, there's a link at the top of each page that says "FreeNAS 7 Forums". So please don't come to the wrong place and then get upset when you don't get the answer you were hoping for. If I'd seen this earlier I would have sent you a PM and deleted your thread. Please repost your question in the FreeNAS 7 Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.