CIFS slow, NFS fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junicast

Patron
Hi,

when I'm accessing my fileserver via Windows 10 and CIFS I get around 10 Megabyte per second reading a file.
When I'm using another (much slower) PC in my network with Linux and NFS as client, I get between 70 - 90 Megabyte/s reading quite constantly.

writing dd bs=1M count=2560 results in ~ 880 Megabyte / s
writing dd bs=1M count=2560 WITH sync results in ~ 346 Megabyte / s

This is my server:
Intel Core i5 3470
Encryption of filesystem is active
16 GB RAM (yes, it's non ECC)
Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3
Intel Gigabit 82574L
5 x 4 TB Seagate ST4000VM000 in RAIDZ1
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201511040813

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
10 megabytes per second almost always indicates a 100 megabit link between the client and server. Check NIC on client, port on switch, and swap network cable (damaged or poorly terminated network cables often downgrade to 10/100 speeds).

Richard Yang

Cadet
Hello,
I am not sure if my situation bears any similarity to yours. In my LAN, with nfs by FreeNAS 8.3, the transfer time for a 1.5GB file took less than one minute. But with cifs (an XP box), the transfer time took around 25 minutes... I tried speedtest.net and even the transfer speed involving the Internet was more than 10 times faster than that with FreeNAS 8.3 (which is on LAN). My guess is that there is something I should tune with smbd on FreeNAS 8.3, but I don't know how... Any suggestion? Thanks
richard

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,
I am not sure if my situation bears any similarity to yours. In my LAN, with nfs by FreeNAS 8.3, the transfer time for a 1.5GB file took less than one minute. But with cifs (an XP box), the transfer time took around 25 minutes... I tried speedtest.net and even the transfer speed involving the Internet was more than 10 times faster than that with FreeNAS 8.3 (which is on LAN). My guess is that there is something I should tune with smbd on FreeNAS 8.3, but I don't know how... Any suggestion? Thanks
richard

That sounds more like misconfiguration or bad hardware than a tuning issue. Type "testparm" in the FreeNAS CLI and post full output here (as well as dmesg output) enclosed in [ code ] tags.

Windows XP? I really hope you have a good reason to be running that.

maglin

Patron
It's a problem between the switch and your windows box. You may not have a 1G NIC in that box if it's 10 years or older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Yang

Cadet
Thank you for all the suggestions.
I think I nailed the issue. The slow performance ONLY happens with the test box (XP) on another ESXi host. If it is moved to the same ESXi host, the transfer speed is back to normal. I don't know how many times this is to be burned by vswitch ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.