CIFS shares folder not refreshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazeStar

Patron
Hi guys,

Using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011

Datasets are with Windows type permissions.

Shares are CIFS.

Clients are running Windows 7 mostly.

A) Recently I've been having issues concerning the refreshing of the shared folders.

For exemple, USER A will put a file on a shared folder.

USER B won't see it at all.

No way to see it except rebooting the computer.

Any advice on what to do on the clients' side or server side ?

B) I've been having issues too on Excel files... USER A opens it... they do their thing, save the file, and close it.

USER B tries to open it, but it reports still being used by another user, and it can only be opened in READ ONLY.

Again, any advice on what to do on the clients' side or server side ?

Thanks !

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi guys,

Using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201602031011

Datasets are with Windows type permissions.

Shares are CIFS.

Clients are running Windows 7 mostly.

A) Recently I've been having issues concerning the refreshing of the shared folders.

For exemple, USER A will put a file on a shared folder.

USER B won't see it at all.

No way to see it except rebooting the computer.

Any advice on what to do on the clients' side or server side ?

B) I've been having issues too on Excel files... USER A opens it... they do their thing, save the file, and close it.

USER B tries to open it, but it reports still being used by another user, and it can only be opened in READ ONLY.

Again, any advice on what to do on the clients' side or server side ?

Thanks !
If this is still an issue, use the CLI tool 'smbstatus' to determine what user has a lock on the file.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Francis D

Cadet
Hi, I have a similar issue but I'm not sure if it is from the same cause.

I have Dataset with Windows and shares CIFS. No active directory or anything else.

I have 3 shares ; accounting, shop and data
10 users with different permission.

The issue ; UserA and UserB have access to data. If UserA create a directory and add files, UserB can't see them and vice-versa.

Even my user admin which is the owner of the share can't see the new files created by any users. Rebooting user's machine
does nothing. This is a real problem. I can't be sure my backup are complete... It looks like the only files that everyone can see are
the ones that were on the nas at the beginning.

It looks like ;

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cannot-set-creator-owner-on-cifs-share.22759/

I'm sure that it's just a config problem, but I'm not able to find any information to do it the right way.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Hi, I have a similar issue but I'm not sure if it is from the same cause.

I have Dataset with Windows and shares CIFS. No active directory or anything else.

I have 3 shares ; accounting, shop and data
10 users with different permission.

The issue ; UserA and UserB have access to data. If UserA create a directory and add files, UserB can't see them and vice-versa.

Even my user admin which is the owner of the share can't see the new files created by any users. Rebooting user's machine
does nothing. This is a real problem. I can't be sure my backup are complete... It looks like the only files that everyone can see are
the ones that were on the nas at the beginning...

More than likely your settings are incorrect. Please see these for info:
9.3 Manual Section on Sharing: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_sharing.html?highlight=sharing
Checkout @m0nkey_ 's thread: [How-to] FreeNAS and Samba (CIFS) permissions (Video)
See my comments/instructions in page 2 of: FreeNAS Can't Handle Basic Use Case

Status
Not open for further replies.