CIFS share recovery bin doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

YvoMulder

Cadet
Hi all!

I am just starting to learn FreeNAS, so please forgive me if I make some rookie mistakes.
I was able to set up my FreeNAS server and share datasets using CIFS to Windows and Mac clients. The problem is, is that I want to use the recycle bin. But by checking the box in the settings and after a server restart, it still doesn't work and I also don't see a .recycle folder. Even though I have checked 'show hidden files'. For the matter, it doesn't even show any '.' folders in Finder under Mac.
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Have a great day!

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
See documentation for recycle bin here: https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages/vfs_recycle.8.html

Note that it states: "The Recycle Bin will not appear in Windows Explorer views of the network file system (share) nor on any mapped drive. "

This means to pull things out of the recycle bin, you need to SSH into the server and pull it out. Honestly, snapshots / shadow copies are a better alternative.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To add a little info to what anodos said (all of it I agree with), the folder created isn't .recovery. It's .recycle. It also won't appear in Windows explorer unless you've enabled hidden files and folders to be displayed.

Naturally, you don't want the recycle bin to be displayed because it may give users access to files they shouldn't have access to and it allows *anyone* to delete those files permanently.

I use a recycle bin and I've posted the script somewhere that auto-deletes files after being in the recycle bin for 7 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.