CIFS Really slow 3mb/s over Gigabit

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfdevil

Dabbler
Hey,

I've got a server running FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 (80c1d35)
Specs:

Code:
CPU: AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU)
Mobo: ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+ FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
RAM: GEiL Black Dragon 8192MB RAM DDR3-1066 CL7-7-7
Network Card: CSL - Gigabit LAN PCI Netzwerkkarte / Fast Ethernet Adapter 10/100/1000 DSL Realtek | 2000 Mbit (Full-Duplex) | 32 Bit | PCI Bus 2.2

Everything is going well, but the transfer speed to windows computers (thru CIFS) is really slow 3mb/s.
It was like that already before I bought this network card (was using a 100mbit before). Also updated my cables to gigabit.

The disks are fine too, I've tried them in a usb enclosure and they've reached around 40mb/s.
They're formatted as ZFS storage and I made a folder 'shared' on them.
Then trying to write on them thru my windows computer or reading from them, I get only 2.5-3mb/s.

I've drawn a plan of my network at home:
homenetwork.jpg

I guess it's just some tweaking that needs to be done to the FreeNAS, but I can't find what. I've googled for a week already.

I hope I can get some tips here or a solution.

If there are any questions or things I have to try out, feel free to tell me, if it can help, I'd love to try them :)

Thanks in advance,
Devil

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You have a network card that is well known to be a problem(Realtek). Please explain why you even bothered posting with such a well documented, well known, and well understood problem asking for help.

Not to mention, using PCI is a way to definitely kill performance, powerline adapters are a no-no if performance matters, and USB enclosures are a serious no-no.

nfdevil

Dabbler
Because I've already read the 'well documented' posts and tried alot of things that they mentioned as a solution. It worked for the person that asked it, but it didn't work for me.

Sorry if I'm asking too much when asking for a bit of help or some tips specific to my setup... not just the problem itself...

You have a network card that is well known to be a problem(Realtek)
Problem, as in: 3mb/s over a gigabit line? If that is the case, I'll just go for windows server :(

using PCI is a way to definitely kill performance
I'd rather use my onboard gigabit, but it isn't supported by FreeBSD...

powerline adapters are a no-no if performance matters
They're 500 Mbit, even if I get around 20 mb/s, i'm really happy, but 3mb/s can't be because of them powerlines, could it? Check my drawing, my dads pc is connected to the gigabit switch and then to the server, it doesn't go thru the wall.

and USB enclosures are a serious no-no
I just mentioned that I did this to test the harddrive. It is in the server connected to a 6GBps sata3 port...

But thanks anyway for saying that I shouldn't ask for help.

Kind regards,
Devil

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes, Realtek is know to not work at all, perform poorly, perform intermittently, and all of the above. Basically Realtek is complete crap on FreeBSD. Realtek's drivers for FreeBSD have been hacked together because Realtek is too crappy to support it themselves.

They may be 500Mbit, but if you read around, you'll be luck as heck if you get more than about 1/5th that. 3MB/sec can absolutely be from powerlines. If you show up here complaining about performance and mention powerline or wifi we'll tell you to direct connect to your Gigabit switches and don't come back until you do. Everyone that posts in this forum should be very well acquainted with these technologies and realize they are convenience technologies and not performance technologies. Those are such performance killers it's not even worth our time to try and troubleshoot any FreeNAS problem when we know damn well the bottleneck is going to be one of those two. The car analogy would be you asking us how to change a tire when your engine block is cracked. Who cares, you got a vehicle that won't run anyway.

It's not that you shouldn't ask for help. It's that you should try to solve the problem on your own before you ask for help. Choosing to use Realtek is a sure sign you aren't trying to help yourself. And the solution we give to everyone with a Realtek is the same.. get rid of it. So we tell people to go get an Intel card and talk to us when *that* doesn't work. Just do a search of the forums. Anyone that complains about performance and/or reliability with Realtek gets the riot act.... go get an Intel and talk to us when if you still have a problem.

gpsguy

Devil, as cyberjock said, the powerline adapters and Realtek NIC could be part of the problem. But, bad cables, pc NIC's, ethernet switch, etc. could make it worse.

To troubleshoot I'd start by connecting your Dad's computer directly to the server (bypassing the switch). You'll need to set static IP address on both machines. Do you benchmarking with this connection. Once your satisfied with it, connect it to the switch. If performance drops, perhaps you have a "green switch" that goes to sleep. If so, can you turn off that feature.

You might want to invest in a long ethernet cable. I have a 100 foot (30.5 meter) cable. Run a cable temporarily from your pc to the switch and/or server and test your peformance. Hopefully, this will assist you in isolating where the problems lie.

Good luck!

leenux_tux

Patron
Devil,

If you haven't seen it yet D-Link have a utility called "Powerline AV utility" which allows you to (amongst several things like update firmware) view the current network speed that you are getting from each of your powerline adapters. I have four in use in my house and I get (for example) one running at full 500mb/s and another at just over 100MB/s. The speed fluctuates as well depending upon what is in use in certain rooms. It's better than wireless though !!!

Might be worth checking out to see what you are getting.

As other forum members have stated Realtek's stink. Get yourself an intel NIC of eBay (Pro/1000 is a reasonable one to go for if memory serves), it should save you some hassle with the Realtek.

List of supported NIC's can be found here http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.2R/hardware.html#ETHERNET

Status
Not open for further replies.