CIFS performance really bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

zyberzero

Cadet
Hi!

I have some issues with the CIFS performance I get out of my box. First, using iperf I get approx 95 Mbytes/s using a single stream, which I guess is quite OK. Standing in a folder in my ZFS volume, Testing

[root@freenas] /mnt/files/media/temp# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.img bs=1M count=2048
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes transferred in 5.179208 secs (414635526 bytes/sec)

(No compression)

Which is good as well.
However, when using CIFS from an Ubuntu 11.10 i get approx. 30 Mbyte/s. This is the very same computer as I ran iperf between, so I guess there's no networking issue.
AIO is on, sendfile is on and turning on large RW support slowed down the transfer about 5 Mbyte/s.

And yeah, the machine spec:
It's a VM in an ESXi machine.
The machine has en Xeon E3-1230 CPU, which is a quadcore @ 3.2 GHz.
The VM has 5 GB RAM dedicated as of now, and only one core dedicated to it (see this thread: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?3425-Getting-lots-if-quot-Interrupt-storm-on-irq16-quot ).

What can I do/test to increase the performance?

Thanks,
Zyber

zyberzero

Cadet
And it's only CIFS that struggles with me. Using the very same setup as before, I can achieve 105 MB/s in writing, and 111 MB/s in reading if I use NFS. So, I guess it's not any problem with my network, or that the hardware is too bad.

/Zyber

zyberzero

Cadet
OK. Tested a little. Using Windows 7 on the same (client) computer I get 115 Mbyte/s in constant write and read. That's more like it, so I guess that my Samba client settings is very bad in my ubuntu client.

digitaltrash

Dabbler
Thanks for following up on your post, that was reassuring. Can you test small file transfer speeds on your rig, like 4Kb files?

Status
Not open for further replies.