CIFS not managable via Windows SBS2011 "Share Management"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomymaster

Contributor
Hi

I just migrated my CIFS shares from my Windows SBS2011 (which is virtualised) to my FreeNAS box (9.2.1.6-RELEASE) after having it attached to my AD (which worked out of the box :) ).

Under the "security" tab i could manage the NTFS permissions, but i wanted to manage the CIFS permissions as well.
For this, i started "share management" and clicked to "connect to another computer" and selected my FreeNAS box.

However i got an error, see the attached screenshot. I'm almost completely sure that it worked before (i think it was 9.2.1.6-beta or a nightly).

Is there a bug somewhere or am i doing something wrong?

Cheers Thomy

Attachments

• CIFS Freenas.jpg
    CIFS Freenas.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 325
D

dlavigne

Can you please translate the error message (can't cut/paste error text from a screenshot).

Thomymaster

Contributor
Yeah sure, it says:

This computer cannot be managed. The computer (storage) cannot be managed because the operating system isn't supported by the share and storage management. The share and storage management can be used for managing Windows Server 2007 and newer...

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Thomymaster

Contributor
I run Windows 7 clients so i don't have the cmdlet :(
OK so basically it comes down to SMB2 which is not manageable using Windows SBS2011 (which is in fact a Windows Server 2008R2 which uses SMB2.1). I'll try to confirm this with enabeling i newer version of the SMB protcol via CIFS settings.

BTW, is there a samba command on how to check which client is connected with which protocol version?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't have powershell? That's part of Windows 7's basic install...

Thomymaster

Contributor
Yeah i know that, i don't want to modify NTFS-permissions but CIFS-permissions. I have found a way to use the MMC and "shared folders" snap-in. It seems that the "share and storage management" doesn't work when working with a samba server.

Cheers

Thomy

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yeah i know that, i don't want to modify NTFS-permissions but CIFS-permissions. I have found a way to use the MMC and "shared folders" snap-in. It seems that the "share and storage management" doesn't work when working with a samba server.

Cheers

Thomy
'Computer Management' allows you to manage both.

Status
Not open for further replies.