CIFS Invisible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moebius

Cadet
Hello,
To begin I apologize for my english, which is quiet bad !

Here is my problem :
When I configure my FreeNAS system in order to share my datas with CIFS (windows so) I can't see any folder.
When I write with my keyboard "\\Sullivan.local" in my start menu, there's what I get : *image*

I don't understand, and after hours of research I didn't see my problem on any forum...
I followed several tutorials to create a new CIFS sharing, but nothing worked.

Please help me :)

I'm sorry if you didn't understand me, or if I posted in a wrong section...
Moebius.

Attachments

• Problem.png
    Problem.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 264
D

dlavigne

How is the FreeNAS volume configured? UFS? ZFS? Hardware or software RAID? Is the volume on a USB disk?

Moebius

Cadet
I tried with both : UFS and ZFS.
The volume is on a Hard Drive.
What means hardware or software RAID ?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Why not try accessing it via IP address? Can you ping that DNS name?

Sent from my Nexus 5

gpsguy

To add to what pirateghost said, try: \\ipaddress\sharename in Windows Explorer.

Moebius

Cadet
Hi, and thanks for helping by the way!
So this morning I tried to ping my NAS and I succeed, the server answered me.
But I didn't configure a DNS, except to send me an e-mail. In that case I used a google DNS "8.8.8.8", but that's not the point.
When i'll be back from work at noon, i'll try to do what gpsguy said !

Moebius

Cadet
Hi again,
I tried : "\\192.168.1.91\Shareur"
Same message, still a problem.
I also tried : "\\192.168.1.91" -> Same message

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Your problem could be hardware, software, or network-related [in short - it could be almost anything]. Giving more information will help diagnose the problem.

Please give list of the following:
  • hardware in your computer
  • version of FreeNAS and operating system from which you are attempting to access share
  • brief description of your network

Review and upload the following:
  • console messages [/var/log/messages]
  • smbd logs [/var/log/samba4/log.smbd]
  • nmbd logs [/var/log/samba4/log.nmbd]
  • ifconfig output
Running "testparm" from console will also give some indication of if you have misconfigured CIFS.
While testing it may be a good idea to disable antivirus, firewall, and other security related software on the client computer.

Moebius

Cadet
Hello :)

So:
  • Hardware:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
2031MB - RAM
HDD 320GB
  • I've got FreeNAS V8.3.2 and I use Windows 7 to access it.
  • I'm at home, I use PCL to connect my NAS and my computer is currently connecting with Wi-Fi.
  • I don't know how to report the "Message". Everytime I open it with nano, it appears a different version of it...
  • Idon't use samba, so i've no logs. I got into the folder "Samba" but i didn't found logs.
  • Ifconfig in attached files.
  • TestParm in attached files.
Sorry if I didn't answer every questions.
Moebius :)

Attachments

• Ifconfig.png
    Ifconfig.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Testparm1.png
    Testparm1.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Testparm2.png
    Testparm2.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 238

Moebius

Cadet
Thank you.
I'll keep looking at FreeNAS as well ^^
I thought about buying new hardaware, and I'll probably make it. But do you think the RAM could be the problem ?
Even if I'll buy some extra RAM later, I'd like to know if the problem comes from here.
Anyway i'll upgrade my FreeNAS version ASAP.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thank you.
I'll keep looking at FreeNAS as well ^^
I thought about buying new hardaware, and I'll probably make it. But do you think the RAM could be the problem ?
Even if I'll buy some extra RAM later, I'd like to know if the problem comes from here.
Anyway i'll upgrade my FreeNAS version ASAP.

I think the hardware requirements section answer that question for you...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Please read hardware recommendations carefully. Recommendations are there for a reason. For instance, in your situation adding RAM may be the fix, but if you're using ZFS you really need ECC RAM otherwise you are playing with gasoline and matches (regarding your data). ECC RAM means server motherboard and carefully planning purchases based on hardware compatibility lists.

Moebius

Cadet
Yeah, I already did it. I found the post on the wiki, and it was really clear (even for me), I already planned what I'll buy, and it appears that I should change pretty much everything...
But one last question : With all the recommendations, the computer is a bit cheapest than an all-made NAS that you can buy on the internet, with an OS and an easy configuration.

So what's the point ? Even if it's interesting, I don't think it's worth it right ?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
But one last question : With all the recommendations, the computer is a bit cheapest than an all-made NAS that you can buy on the internet, with an OS and an easy configuration.

So what's the point ? Even if it's interesting, I don't think it's worth it right ?

The point is performance and features (not saving money). For me the cheap NAS appliance is a no-go because it doesn't have ZFS, can't do jails, and wouldn't scale well to 50+ concurrent users.

You are also at the mercy of a vendor to provide you with security updates and bug-fixes. If the FreeNAS project disappears tomorrow, I can just install vanilla FreeBSD, import my zpool, do a bit of configuration, and be back in business.

If you don't want to buy new hardware there are alternatives to FreeNAS that don't use ZFS and don't have the same hardware requirements. I sometimes use OpenBSD to set up samba servers on old hardware, and I'm sure there are newbie-friendly NAS distributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.