CIFS and AFP working together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Allman

Cadet
Hi,
I am very new to FreeNas so im sorry if i say something that may not be correct. I have my windows machine, and two macs in my household. I currently have it set up so that i have CIFS as the main storage on my NAS and that is working very well. Everyone can access it fine. However i also want to make it so that the macs can use time machine with the NAS and backup to it automatically using the AFP folder. Im sure many of you know this but when i enable CIFS and AFP at the same time on macs, only one can be seen at a time. How do i make it so both can be seen all the time? So they can access the CIFS shares on my NAS but Time machine can also back up to it aswell.
Thanks

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi,
I am very new to FreeNas so im sorry if i say something that may not be correct. I have my windows machine, and two macs in my household. I currently have it set up so that i have CIFS as the main storage on my NAS and that is working very well. Everyone can access it fine. However i also want to make it so that the macs can use time machine with the NAS and backup to it automatically using the AFP folder. Im sure many of you know this but when i enable CIFS and AFP at the same time on macs, only one can be seen at a time. How do i make it so both can be seen all the time? So they can access the CIFS shares on my NAS but Time machine can also back up to it aswell.
Thanks
FWIW, I run a few Apples here and am able to connect to CIFS shares and run Apple Time Machine simultaneously. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Did you create a separate AFP dataset specifically for Time Machine backups? That's the best approach, as you can set a quota for the dataset to keep ATM from using up all of your disk space! :)

Here are instructions for setting up AFP shares: http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_sharing.html#apple-afp-shares

Jack Allman

Cadet
FWIW, I run a few Apples here and am able to connect to CIFS shares and run Apple Time Machine simultaneously. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Did you create a separate AFP dataset specifically for Time Machine backups? That's the best approach, as you can set a quota for the dataset to keep ATM from using up all of your disk space! :)

Here are instructions for setting up AFP shares: http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/freenas_sharing.html#apple-afp-shares
Yes i have done that. Retried creating it again and still no luck :(

Status
Not open for further replies.