Chroot for SFTP in FN11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
Hi there.

I am trying to get to a point where I have an user be able to SFTP to a specific dataset in my FN 11 box. I've got the user, group, sshd_conf extras, and can connect. However, logged in with that user, I can navigate up out of the user's home directory. When I first connect, I'm in the user home directory, but I can go up all the way to the root of the system.

I've been going through whatever I could find. Problem seems to be that most of the info applies to older versions of FN. Not seeing more recent stuff. What I did find I followed and ultimately got to having everything setup, just not limited as I need it.

This is pretty much what I did though found this after: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/problems-about-sftp.37028/

In the last couple screenshots in that thread, the directory "/" looks to actually be the user directory and not "/" of the system. For me, as I wrote above, upon connection I'm in the user home, but I can navigate up.

So, is this not possible in FreeNAS-11.0-U1?

Any help/tips much appreciated.

Thank you

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you want to keep people in their tiny part of the filesystem, jails are the safest way.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I'll be using this user account for an external server to backup to this dataset.

I suppose I could mount the dataset inside my standard bsd jail... and if its the only way, so be it. It just kind of throws a mess at what I'd imagine be a fairly simple need and I'm wondering why that is necessary.

Would you mind sharing some info about setup?

And just so I know... is it not possible to achieve without the jail?

ChrisNAS

Explorer
Still wondering if anyone knows how to set this up without jail. Anyone? Please...

RobbieL811

Cadet
What's up guys? Do any of you not have problems with maxing out your link speed on WAN sftp transfers to your jails? I am having serious issues with this that I can't seem to get ironed out. I guess I should really start a new thread about this. I was just wondering if any of you have any issues like this? I have a 150 Mbps down connection to my home, yet when I try to SFTP, rsync, or scp ANYTHING to my jail, I am only able to reach max speeds of around 2-3 Megabytes per second. Don't seem to have the same issues on a linux box. Local transfers seem to be ok. Only WAN. And no, I'm not using outdated hardware or stressing the CPU too much. My CPUs should be able to handle any SSH ciphers that are used I would think. Anyways, if one of you can shed a little light on this, please do help me. This is crucial to my setup.

ChrisNAS

Explorer
What's up guys? Do any of you not have problems with maxing out your link speed on WAN sftp transfers to your jails? I am having serious issues with this that I can't seem to get ironed out. I guess I should really start a new thread about this. I was just wondering if any of you have any issues like this? I have a 150 Mbps down connection to my home, yet when I try to SFTP, rsync, or scp ANYTHING to my jail, I am only able to reach max speeds of around 2-3 Megabytes per second. Don't seem to have the same issues on a linux box. Local transfers seem to be ok. Only WAN. And no, I'm not using outdated hardware or stressing the CPU too much. My CPUs should be able to handle any SSH ciphers that are used I would think. Anyways, if one of you can shed a little light on this, please do help me. This is crucial to my setup.

I also had some speed issues, but after new hardware (network untouched) transfer speeds have been great. I did an rsync from a vps to local and reached 6mb transfers if I recall correctly. In any case, they were fast. You also have to think that even if your network can download at X speed, the remote server/network may be throttling the download speeds or you could just be hitting their max.

RobbieL811

Cadet
I also had some speed issues, but after new hardware (network untouched) transfer speeds have been great. I did an rsync from a vps to local and reached 6mb transfers if I recall correctly. In any case, they were fast. You also have to think that even if your network can download at X speed, the remote server/network may be throttling the download speeds or you could just be hitting their max.
I don't think these things are my issue though. Truthfully idk what the hell is going on lol. I've bought 3 different nics because of this. That didn't solve the issue. I upgraded my CPUs to dual Xeon 5690s, and they didn't solve the issue. Made all new CAT6 cables. I seem to get great FTP speed. Downloading from gigabit links. NAS is on a 200Mbps/25Mbps line, and I'm getting 2 Megabyte/sec downloads. Install a debian based district (Ubuntu 16.04) and SFTP speeds jump to 22-24 megabytes/sec. Very frustrating. All local SFTP transfers run at 110 or so megabytes/sec. Sorry for lack of description. I'm on mobile.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That really has nothing to do with this thread. You should open your own thread and include the information that the forum rules ask you to include.

RobbieL811

Cadet
That really has nothing to do with this thread. You should open your own thread and include the information that the forum rules ask you to include.
Yeah. I know. Sorry about that. I'll open up a new thread this evening. Again, sorry.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame

Hey Eric I think we have the capability to split these off into threads on our own. Feel free to split it off if you feel like it's off topic! :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I know, I've done it a few times.

In this case, I felt that a new thread was the better option, since there's information missing anyway.

Yeah. I know. Sorry about that. I'll open up a new thread this evening. Again, sorry.
No need to apologize, it's simply in your interest to attract people to your problem.

cchr82

Dabbler
Still wondering if anyone knows how to set this up without jail. Anyone? Please...
Not sure if you every solved this, but I was able to setup the chroot without the need for a jail following the instructions in the link you sent out. I made one minor change though in the ChrootDirector though. I just pointed it to the parent folder for all users (i.e. /mnt/vol02/mozzie) in that case

cchr82

Dabbler
@ChrisNAS:
In the manual is said: "some utilities such as WinSCP can bypass the chroot". Did/does your change also solve this?
I never tried winscp, I just tried it mainly via terminal, and I think on mobaxterm and cyberduck. Did winscp get around it on your end?

Status
Not open for further replies.