Choice of MB for Fractal Design Node 304 case

Status
Not open for further replies.

balanga

Patron
I'm planning on building a FreeNAS box and am intimidated by the number of hardware choices available...

The first two items I've bought are a Fractal Design Node 304 case and a Corsair RM650 PSU. Now I'm looking for suggestions for MB and CPU. I don't want to spend too much, but I know I need something which supports ECC RAM and has an integrated Intel (or equivalent) NIC and maybe onboard wi-fi.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

balanga

Patron
I'm planning on building a FreeNAS box and am intimidated by the number of hardware choices available...

The first two items I've bought are a Fractal Design Node 304 case and a Corsair RM650 PSU. Now I'm looking for suggestions for MB and CPU. I don't want to spend too much, but I know I need something which supports ECC RAM and has an integrated Intel (or equivalent) NIC and maybe onboard wi-fi.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I thinking about getting:-

ASRock Rack E3C226D2I

Any comments - good/bad choice?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I thinking about getting:-

ASRock Rack E3C226D2I

Any comments - good/bad choice?

A popular choice, should work well.

maybe onboard wi-fi.

That's a "Heck no."

For starters, FreeBSD has absolutely awful 802.11 adapter support. You'd get g speeds at best. Not to mention the fact that WiFi has no business being on a server.

Now, if you need miniITX, you can go with the board you suggested or with an Avoton board of your liking (Asrock's models are popular, too). The former requires an LGA1150 processor (Pentium G3xxx, i3 4xxx or Xeon E3 v3), the latter already has an Intel Atom processor.

balanga

Patron
A popular choice, should work well.

That's a "Heck no."

For starters, FreeBSD has absolutely awful 802.11 adapter support. You'd get g speeds at best. Not to mention the fact that WiFi has no business being on a server.

Now, if you need miniITX, you can go with the board you suggested or with an Avoton board of your liking (Asrock's models are popular, too). The former requires an LGA1150 processor (Pentium G3xxx, i3 4xxx or Xeon E3 v3), the latter already has an Intel Atom processor.

OK - thanks for the feedback - I think I'll go with the ASRock Rack E3C226D2I. Now it's just a question of choosing the CPU...

I guess I'll forget about WiFi on the server.

I had not heard of the Avoton board previously, but it looks to be beyond my budget.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Check out my signature

Status
Not open for further replies.