Chicken and egg which comes first Sonarr V3 or Mono 6.8 (or how to hate package manager)

Dirk

Patron
I've spent sooo many hours on installing Sonarr in a jail it's rediculouse, and keeps happening. So I say to myself "I'll do a guide". I've got over 60 hours into Sonarr, and Mono issues.

Sonarr needs the latest Mono!!!!

Pkg install mono6.8-6.8.0.123 Done

Pkg install sonarr-devel 3.0.4 "I'll install MONO ver. 5.10 for you to and remove 6.8 ???

No

Googling install without dependency.... nada

Well OK go ahead I'll outsmart you!

Pkg install mono 6.8yada

mono 5.10 and sonarr 3.04 will be removed.

No No No!!!!

So, I your wondering how it's going, I'm talking to mysel in the third person, a computer and evil package stuff. (someone REALLY needs to look at the mono sonarr package issue as this has been going on for 8 months. Having a dependancy that does not work for the package that is being installed is a crime!

Can I install sonarr without the dependency? can I upgrade mono after the sonarr/mono package? Will Lassie find her way home?

Thanks for listening to my rant.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have you tried locking the sonarr pkg?

pkg lock sonarr

DrStrange

Cadet
:cool: rip out sonar put in fire proof bin add some fuel to it strike the match go to shop buy decent earphones for Samsung phone
have music and movies everywhere in your home

Dirk

Patron
Oh, that's fun. lang/mono and lang/mono6.8 are different ports. lang/mono > 4.6.1 is a runtime dependency of sonarr-devel.

Thanks anodos for the input. I didn't know there were two routes on mono (Fozzy bear tells Kermit to lake a left at the FORK).

I'm surprised they said 4.6.1 was the dependency. The standard install has been 5.1 forever. Then Sonarr went to V3.x and things ere fine. I can't remember what the issue was but we all got bit on a Sonarr update one day that broke Sonarr and you had to find 5.2 which there was no pkg for. This resulted in a five plus forum thread somewhere which also caused problemsin upgrading to 5.2. After many hours trying to get that to work I decided to go with 6.8 manual install. for Sonarr and Radarr on both servers

I'm trying to make the guide as simple as possible with packages since manual installs invariably don't work for noobs given the lack of experience and/or understanding.

IMO there needs to be 2 mono packages. 5.2 for the older aps running fine, and 6.8 for the apps that need it. But I also wonder if the lack of attention is figuring the newer apps are going to .NET.

I'm off to see what pkg lock will do.

Dirk

Patron
:cool: rip out sonar put in fire proof bin add some fuel to it strike the match go to shop buy decent earphones for Samsung phone
have music and movies everywhere in your home

It's Friday, my "solution" will be whisky! I'm off to see what "pkg lock" can do latter dosage amount will be determined from that experience.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's Friday, my "solution" will be whisky! I'm off to see what "pkg lock" can do latter dosage amount will be determined from that experience.
If you're up for installing sonarr from ports I could probably send you a git patch to add an option to build with lang/mono6.8.

Dirk

Patron
If you're up for installing sonarr from ports I could probably send you a git patch to add an option to build with lang/mono6.8.

I may take you up on that, but after this is over. Can I PM you on that (I don't make myself an annoyance)?

sretalas' solution worked after some experimentation.

pkg install sonarr-devel which drags along mono 5.1
pkg Lock sonarr-devel only
pkg install mono6.8-6.8.0.1230

Dirk

Patron
Have you tried locking the sonarr pkg?

pkg lock sonarr

Thank you that worked smooth and will no doubt help anybody trying to install Sonarr V3

tsnives

Dabbler
Thank you that worked smooth and will no doubt help anybody trying to install Sonarr V3

It's been a bit, but a 'better' solution if you want to use mono6.8 over mono for the full jail is to use "pkg set mono:mono6.8". That way no other packages you may install will cause 6.8 to be removed either. Instead you effectively just changed 6.8 to being the identified dependency for everything.