Checking my scheduled scrubs / tests etc are in order

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not the same at all.

The reason technical forums are so intimidating is because you're dealing with technology that requires precise language and proper use of the terminology as well as understanding. You'd be amazed at how many are missing at least 2 of the 3 if not all 3.

Not the same at all.

The reason technical forums are so intimidating is because you're dealing with technology that requires precise language and proper use of the terminology as well as understanding. You'd be amazed at how many are missing at least 2 of the 3 if not all 3.
Here! Here!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

rogerh

Guru
No it's like saying you shouldn't buy a Vauxhall because you heard your friends uncles broke down and so they're bad cars.

Can't believe this again, do you guys never stop? seriously it's no wonder communities like this are so intimidating to newcomers.
I understand your irritation. But look at it from the forum experts' POV. You are enquiring about optimising procedures to protect your data from disk failure or other accidents. But you are using a level of redundancy which gives you quite a high chance of total data loss if a second drive fails when you are replacing a failed one. It would be really remiss of them not to make sure you fully understood this risk, while helping you mitigate possibly more remote risks. By the way, if you bought all your drives of each kind at once this gives a poorly-defined increased risk of two failing close together. Given that you do understand the risk, which you haven't really confirmed except in the most general terms, obviously your choice is entirely your business - but good advice is completely well meant!

Last edited:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
No it's like saying you shouldn't buy a Vauxhall because you heard your friends uncles broke down and so they're bad cars.

Can't believe this again, do you guys never stop? seriously it's no wonder communities like this are so intimidating to newcomers.
Since you replied with a car analogy, let me try this on ya;)
You show up to compete at a local race track and the track's safety rules state you may use a simple lap belt to meet required safety guidelines.
For sake of argument the lap belt represents RAIDz.
While preparing for the race, another fellow race driver (with many races under his belt) looks over your safety equipment
and simply tells you that a properly configured three point safety harness (RAIDz2) would give you a better chance of surviving a crash (pun intended).
The advice from the fellow driver is not intimidation, it's a friendly piece of advice that shows concern for your welfare.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
...but when the same piece of "friendly advice" gets repeated ad infinitum, it gets more than a little old. Yes, RAIDZ2 is safer than RAIDz1--I'm pretty sure we all know that. Yes, @paradoxiom's comment about not having multiple users is a non sequitur. But even so, he says he's evaluated the risk, and he apparently doesn't find his data valuable enough to use another disk for redundancy. That's certainly his call to make.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Yes, RAIDZ2 is safer than RAIDz1--I'm pretty sure we all know that.
I see your point. The million +1 & +2 comments were a bit "over the top", but he did ask the question
is there anything else I could do?

Status
Not open for further replies.