Cheapest Motherboard/CPU Combo with support for ECC?

oguruma

Patron
I'd like to build a small and cheap NAS to act as an off-site backup of my main NAS. I'll only need about 40TB of useable storage.

I'd like a motherboard/CPU combo that:
1) can be purchased new
2) supports ECC RAM
3) is Mini-ITX or Micro ATX
4) doesn't generate a lot of heat
5) is "affordable"

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
"Look for Supermicro A2SDi series or comparable ASrock and don't shy away from buying used" would be my recommendation.

Your requirements are sane and perfectly in line with what I would buy (and actually did buy) myself but all of this screams "server/enterprise grade" and they charge a premium because they can. So instead of going for cheaper consumer grade products I would reconsider buying used/refurbished.

I was in the lucky situation that I positively decided to invest into a new Xeon D based NAS, so suddenly I had my old Atom based one available as the backup system. Similarly I bought a Xeon D Supermicro board for my ESXi + TN SCALE and there was another Atom based system waiting to get OPNsense installed ...

Depending on where you are located I am a satisfied customer of Jacob (german) and Tonitrus (international) who both offer used products - with varying availability, of course.