Cheap 10 GbE SFP+ switch

Mlovelace

Guru
apparently this thing can actually be powered by PoE.

Yes, but does it go to 11....

these-go-to-eleven-its-one-louder.jpg

danb35

Hall of Famer
Someone was asking about power consumption. The CRS305-1G-4S+ is plugged into my Unifi PoE switch for the moment, and with no SFP+ modules in place (waiting on fs.com for those), is drawing about 6 watts idle. More to follow.

averyfreeman

Contributor
Someone was asking about power consumption. The CRS305-1G-4S+ is plugged into my Unifi PoE switch for the moment, and with no SFP+ modules in place (waiting on fs.com for those), is drawing about 6 watts idle. More to follow.

I think it's neat you could power it with an injector, etc. but has anyone ever heard of a gateway that delivers POE? I mean, usually it's the switch that supplies it, not a piece of kit before it (which, gateway/router is the only one/two things I can think of that would go before). Kinda creates a chicken<->egg situation in my mind... maybe I'm missing something...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I think it's neat you could power it with an injector, etc. but has anyone ever heard of a gateway that delivers POE? I mean, usually it's the switch that supplies it, not a piece of kit before it (which, gateway/router is the only one/two things I can think of that would go before). Kinda creates a chicken<->egg situation in my mind... maybe I'm missing something...

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE. Like the ultimate device for a small home deployment or for WISP tower deployment.

Unfortunately it is passive PoE so I expect not compatible with the MikroTik.

Still, if I was going to do a breakout switch of some sort, I can totally see blowing a fiber and a cat6 down a conduit to some annoying location. Part of what makes PoE gorgeous is that you can worry about power at a central point. The downstream devices are powered by the wiring closet UPS, so having switches like the Netgear GS108T where you can have them powered via PoE is very flexible. You don't want to be finding ways to power your breakout switches from local AC power, because you *know* that's not going to be UPS-protected in most cases.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The CRS305-1G-4S+ is plugged into my Unifi PoE switch for the moment, and with no SFP+ modules in place (waiting on fs.com for those), is drawing about 6 watts idle.
...and with four fs.com optics plugged in (albeit only two active at this point), just over 7 watts--though no serious data transfer is happening at the moment.